When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New Rep, It's Amazing, But I Can't See Myself Wearing It

ryaku

I bought a new Panda Portoguese, i got it yesterday and from the first seconds i've loved it.

I wore it immediately but i still can't see myself with it: watch is gorgeous but probabily a bit too serious and elegant (i'm used to sports model like Omega PO, Railmaster, Tag heuer Link and other chronos).

I'm really thinking to resell it. :g:

Has it ever happened to you? :)

Edited by ryaku

Yes, unfortunately. I got a Santos 100 TT from EL a while back, convinced myself I didn't like it because of the cheap strap, bought a $175 custom strap from Aaron Tan (gorgeous btw), finally figured out how to install it (pin and mallet, just like Omega bracelets - Thanks Ubi!) and then realized "you know, I just don't really like this watch on me." :g:

Edited by kanerich

Same thing with me and my Portuguese.

I love the watch in pics or on someone else or when I see a gen in AD display.... but when I got my Laureus... I don't know. The quality of the rep is great, everything is OK but it is just not for me. Too dressy. And that 20 mm strap looks so small after PAMs....

Funny thing is I have another Portuguese on the way - the white one with blue markers - ordered before my Laureus got here.

Same thing with me and my Portuguese.

Too dressy. And that 20 mm strap looks so small after PAMs....

Don't sell it too fast. It's the third rep i have bought in 3 months. The two first one were a PAM217 and a PAM005. Before i was used to wear a gen Baume & Mercier "tonneau". It's very difficult for me now to wear back the B&M : so small in comparaison with pannies !! At the beggining i think "[censored], i'll can't wear my B&M anymore". But after a while it's great : i've differents watches for differnts uses, differents moments and differents dressed. The Portuguese is the one who make me fall in love with wathches in general. I've been a little bit disappointed when it arrived : the same as on the web but so different in my mind "to small", cheap strap. But now, i like it so much : i've weared it all this week, cause it really great with a "costume" (sorry i can't remember the english word :) )it's dressy and little bit sport at the same time, even the strap looks good now !!!

Just to say : try to waer it 2 more weeks with diiferent kind of clothes, in differents situation, and then take your final decision.

ryaku,

that's an interesting comment. i rec'd the panda and at about the same time one of my alltime favorite subs came up for auction on ebay--it's gen, so it'll cost an arm and a leg. so i sold the panda and have a couple other unworn pieces i'll probably let go. i have a couple classy reps, like ELs jules audemar in RG that are very classy, but simple enough to wear anytime. the panda really seems to call for an occasion. i used to have many such occasions to wear this type of watch, i no longer do... maybe that's a good thing?

I too have the IWC Portuguese Panda and initially I felt that it wasn't quite 'me'. Then I put it on a black Hirsch 'Rally' strap, which is very heavily padded with three large holes on each side. Trust me, this transforms the watch from 'classic dressy' to 'classic sports'. I have lots of watches (30+), mostly genuine, including Panerai, Omega Moonwatch, vintage Seamaster 300, Marathon SAR etc and the Portuguese has attracted more compliments in 2 days, even from 'non-watch' people than any other watch ever did.

I will try a couple of pics tomorrow, but I don't even know how to post them.

FM makes, by fair, the ugliest watches on the planet.

LOL! You've got some pretty definitive views on matters of taste...but judging by the comments I get, most people definitively think Panerais are uglier than mullers. Mullers get the most "nice watch"es by far, and Panerai's get by far the most "What's that ugly thing on your wrist." I love them both, so I don't care...i just buy what I like.

Since I started collecting Pannies I don't wear any of my other watches (Omega's, JLC etc) because they are all look so damn small and ridiculous on my wrist. I really like the IWC Panda but I'll probably will never buy it for the same reasons others mentioned.

And another (davidsen) Pannie is on it's way right now. :p

I also received the Panda (silver/black subdials) and had the same reaction only because a few days later the black/white subdial version showed up. Having many watches I've been lucky. This is the first time I wasn't thrilled with a purchase. Not because it isn't a beauty, but because I liked the black version better. I've worn it once and it is sitting in my watch case now. Will probably sell it at a ridiculous price.

Ryaku, you can always sell/trade it and move on. I should.