When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Crown Guard MOD for my 1665 GW

Prsist

I need to do the research and search for some tutorials I know but how hard is this for a noob like myself to do? I have opened up a couple casebacks but that's been it.

I'd like to be a little more hands on with my reps yet I don't want to F-things up? Can someone give me a quick guide to the CG mod? :victory:

if some kind soul woild be kind enough to post a couple pics of the end result i woild be thankful.

Theres lots of tutorials here is you use the search function.

I used to use files, but now i use a dremel. Low speed with the floppy sanding discs. Works really well. What you might want to do is find an old junk case from a submariner or daytona or something and practice on that before attacking your new 1665. You just need to know what shape its supposed to turn out like. I see a lot of people mod CG's and they turn out to look nothing like a real submariner. Search google images for rolex 1680 and 1665 and save some good frontal pics of crown guards and study the inside shape and angles. Its pretty easy to do. Take a little off at a time, put the crown in place and have a look. cut some more and check again. I do this about 20 times until it looks right.

do you have an old submariner rep or something you can try grinding on first? I'll have a look in my junk box later and see if I have anything I can send you to practice on. I might have an old daytona case but Im not sure.

dizz

i plan on getting a gen crown, should i wait till i have it in hand or will the rep crown (all be it bigger) be ok to use for visuals? are there tutorials showing how to swap out a crown? or is it something only a modder can do?how do you do your mods diz? little by little (id probably have most work done by someone) or do you acquire all parts and do the mods in one big bang? i have thiught of buying a vintage sub or something else to make a learning project. or should i buy a homage and practice on that?

I would wait until i had the gen crown in hand before doing the CG's. Then you can get the right visuals. You cant put the metal back on after you grind it away. I do all my own work now. Took lots of practice to get things right. crown guards arnt too bad though. Be careful taking the movement out. Dont mess up those keyless works Use a 1.2 mm screwdriver to release the stem and nothing else. Thats the hardest part of the process and the easiest to mess up

dizz

I would wait until i had the gen crown in hand before doing the CG's. Then you can get the right visuals. You cant put the metal back on after you grind it away. I do all my own work now. Took lots of practice to get things right. crown guards arnt too bad though. Be careful taking the movement out. Dont mess up those keyless works Use a 1.2 mm screwdriver to release the stem and nothing else. Thats the hardest part of the process and the easiest to mess up

dizz

I suppose using the search feature I will come across pics showing the tools needed and a description and picture of the keyless works. I might scour the for sale section for cheap watches to practice on.

If you know a friendly watchsmith you can follow both routes.

Ask him to remove the crown and stem (as Dizzy has indicated) and you do the CG mods yourself.

I leave the crown, stem and movement removal to my watchsmith. I will do the case work mods and other bits; and normally let him rebuild the tricky bits. But you need a skilled collaborator who will work for modest rates!

Good luck..............keep searching and trying.

I was amazed at what could be achieved and how gratifying it is to do the work and to enjoy the result. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Sure you will make some mess ups along the way....who doesn't? :whistling:

Edited by PMMUTD68

There are some financial implications to modding your own cg's- you need to buy some tools. You need a caseback opening tool for Rolex watches- 29.5mm at least, will run $35-40 or so for a set- any less and it's probably chinese quality. Next is a decent set of screwdrivers- check out offshore's place watchbits or something like that in the sales section- might look into his tool sets while you're at it.

1. open the case back

2. unscrew the hold down screws and remove the hold down tabs

3. 1.2mm screwdriver in the slot to remove the crown, unscrew crown, gently depress slot pin and pull crown out- after you've screwed it up a few times, you'll get the hang of it. Costs me $40 to have my watchmaker redo the keyless works for me!

4. Remove the movement, dial, hands as one assembly

5. remove or tape off the case tube

6. File the crown guards to the right shape slowly checking by putting the crown back on. this requires filing the outsides as well as the insides on a PT 1665

7. after filing, you polish. I like 320/400/600 1000 wet dry sand paper and then follow with a polishing compound and a rag.

8. When you're happy with the job clean up the case and crystal and install the movement, etc in reverse order.

keep searching for a tutorial or maybe look for someone who will do this stuff for you- phdad over at repgeek comes to mind.

By the time you buy all the tools it's almost cheaper to pay someone to mod for you, unless you really plan on getting into it.

There are some financial implications to modding your own cg's- you need to buy some tools. You need a caseback opening tool for Rolex watches- 29.5mm at least, will run $35-40 or so for a set- any less and it's probably chinese quality. Next is a decent set of screwdrivers- check out offshore's place watchbits or something like that in the sales section- might look into his tool sets while you're at it.

1. open the case back

2. unscrew the hold down screws and remove the hold down tabs

3. 1.2mm screwdriver in the slot to remove the crown, unscrew crown, gently depress slot pin and pull crown out- after you've screwed it up a few times, you'll get the hang of it. Costs me $40 to have my watchmaker redo the keyless works for me!

4. Remove the movement, dial, hands as one assembly

5. remove or tape off the case tube

6. File the crown guards to the right shape slowly checking by putting the crown back on. this requires filing the outsides as well as the insides on a PT 1665

7. after filing, you polish. I like 320/400/600 1000 wet dry sand paper and then follow with a polishing compound and a rag.

8. When you're happy with the job clean up the case and crystal and install the movement, etc in reverse order.

keep searching for a tutorial or maybe look for someone who will do this stuff for you- phdad over at repgeek comes to mind.

By the time you buy all the tools it's almost cheaper to pay someone to mod for you, unless you really plan on getting into it.

Finding a watchmaker (Noob question)

I guess the best way is to walk into a place of business and say "I collect reps, I'd like to know if you will work with me on modding some of my pieces?Trust is another issue I guess for me. Hate to take a watch in and have them keep my gen part and install a cheapo part or swap out the movt (It's not really paranoia if they ARE after you! :Jumpy:)