When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Fixing A Dial With Matte Varnish

chris5264

Looks very good - perfect, in fact.

Is that the WM with the stripped lug screw that you're fixing up?

thanks, yes this is the project from hell. I ended up replacing the entire balance assembly (balance [censored], wheel and hairspring) because it was running 20 mins a day fast! However, so far things are looking up. Movement, dial and hands all look good, I got the timing practically perfect. All that's left is some work on the case.

at least I've had some luck seeing ub post on this, the way the dial turned out has given me some new motivation for this project.

thanks, yes this is the project from hell. I ended up replacing the entire balance assembly (balance [censored], wheel and hairspring) because it was running 20 mins a day fast! However, so far things are looking up. Movement, dial and hands all look good, I got the timing practically perfect. All that's left is some work on the case.

at least I've had some luck seeing ub post on this, the way the dial turned out has given me some new motivation for this project.

You're doing fine - see it thorough and you'll have a sweet WM vintage that along with the satisfaction of having brought it back to life through your own skills and efforts.

I can only hope that the previous owner (....) offered you a rebate once you discovered the damaged condition it was in - which aside from the stripped lug screw, he never mentioned. I very nearly bought it myself, and would have if my PayPal account had not become mysteriously inaccessibe. When I could finally access it again, the watch had gone to you.

What's for sure is that I would never have felt confident enough to undertake what you're doing, so you might say that it ended up with the right person after all.

You'll make it and have a great watch. In the meantime........

125642-20429.gif