When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

It just stopped!

Broker1981

Hi!

I have a Rolex Daytona working chrono with secs at 6 full red gold from Joshua.

A few weeks ago the bezel and crystal just fell off, and now the watch has just stopped. I sent it to Joshua to have it fixed, but he didn't do anything to it other than wrap it in plastic. He's offered me a new case but wtf would i want that for when i don't have the skills to extract the movement and replace the case.

Anyhow. The watch has come to a complete stop. It wont start even though i tried to wind it up manually and by shaking the damned watch. No response. I can hear something spinning around inside, but still no action.

Help! Please!

I don't know what the protocol is with these watches but the seconds at 6 daytonas are notoriously unreliable. I wouldn't bother with trying to get it fixed or replaced. Do a little research and find a rep that you like and ask Joshua for a swap. Don't bother with the Daytonas until you learn a little bit more. Good luck!

I don't know what the protocol is with these watches but the seconds at 6 daytonas are notoriously unreliable. I wouldn't bother with trying to get it fixed or replaced. Do a little research and find a rep that you like and ask Joshua for a swap. Don't bother with the Daytonas until you learn a little bit more. Good luck!

Now there's some good advice!

Anyhow. The watch has come to a complete stop. It wont start even though i tried to wind it up manually and by shaking the damned watch. No response. I can hear something spinning around inside, but still no action.

As Diesel said, these watches are notoriously unreliable due to the additional gearing added to relocate the running seconds. Read this for a possible fix (I am no longer providing this service, so you will need to locate a watchmaker willing to handle this for you) & be sure to read Ziggy's secs at 6 A7750 reviews that are referenced in that link.

I just sent a mail to Joshua regarding a swap. How does that work?

Also. If i am to swap i'd like to swap to a model that wont stop after a few months and very little wear.

I have 9.5" wrists, so i need a model with a case that is at least 40 mm diameter.

What would you recommend?

How long did you own it before it started having problems?

What exactly do you expect Josh to do? You've been wearing the watch for some time, how is he to know you didn't break it somehow? Yet it's his fault that he won't take it back and exchange it for another watch?

I've had it since January, and i have no problem seeing that he might wonder how much itæs been worn. However there is a prequal to this that you should know.

I have this Rolex and a Breitling from Joshua. I was unfortunate and broke the crystal on the breitling this summer. Accidents happen. I also bought a Sinn U1 with a defective clasp.

Then i was wearing the daytona and the Bezel and Crystal just fell off! As described in this post:

I asked Domenico about fixing the Daytona, but he said it was a production flaw and he couldn't fix it.

Then i contacted Joshua and we agreed upon the following:

1. Change the broken crystal in the Breitling

2. Fix the Rolex Daytona

3. Fix the clasp in the Sinn U1

4. Service the movements in all three watches and waterproof them.

I asked him to make me a price for all of this and sent the three watches back to China.

I got the watches back almost two months later. At no charge.

The clasp on the Sinn U1 was fixed and the crystal on the Breitling was changed. Which is nice as i was expecting to pay for a new crystal.

However! The Daytona had not been touched and was only wrapped in plastic and returned to me, as described in this post:

When i contacted Joshua he confirmed that nothing had been done to the Daytona. He also told me that with the new crystal the breitling was no longer waterproof. I asked for these services to be provided because I can't use non-waterproof watches in the kitchen. According to his website he provides both movement service and waterproofing, and i was willing to pay for this. In the aftermath he has offered to send me a new case that i can put the movement into. I am a Chef, an Executive Chef even, but i do not have the skills to swap movements!

I highly doubt that the watch would have stopped if it had been serviced as it was supposed to when it was at Joshua's. We don't send watches half way across the world to have them wrapped in plastic and returned to us...

Just a little friendly advice,dont wear your reps while cooking,or while perparing,washing etc food. One of the worst enemys to are reps and gens for that matter is "steam" It can permeate the best "water proof" or "water resistant" watch. Im not a chef but I do a lot of cooking and spend a lot of time in the kitchen. I wear my Casio G-shocks or my Seiko monsters while In the kitchen,no worries with these types of watches for the most part. Again just a little friendly advise,good luck with your current situation :)

Just a little friendly advice,dont wear your reps while cooking,or while perparing,washing etc food. One of the worst enemys to are reps and gens for that matter is "steam" It can permeate the best "water proof" or "water resistant" watch. Im not a chef but I do a lot of cooking and spend a lot of time in the kitchen. I wear my Casio G-shocks or my Seiko monsters while In the kitchen,no worries with these types of watches for the most part. Again just a little friendly advise,good luck with your current situation :)

Thank you for your advise! :)

I will take it into consideration. :)

While i agree in principle with you, heard the dame about a watch in the shower and hot tub. Steam and humidity and air pressure would be greater in a shower like environment. Cooking notso much. How can you coo

k without a legible watch on??? thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

i mainly cook with with the greatest tool watch of them all, The X-33. 95% of rep owners wil never do what is needed to make a rep a water resistent watch and even still I would never trust a rep to be water resistent. I use my Armitron when I hit the pool.