When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

resetting the $#*@& escape wheel on eta 2836-2!

hackR

ok, ok...i'm taking a break.... :angry:

trying to reinstall the damn train bridge and can't seem to get the escape wheel set in the jewels...i can easily get the other 3 gears set in their jewels...but the damn escape wheel seems to not sit well in the dial side jewel - with it having such a short pin...altho its tough to tell if the rotor side is in the jewel, too...i am checking it all out with a loop - but its hard to tell...

the escape wheel seems to be a bit short - technically its not - as its eta...i inspected it and its fine...but when the other 3 gears are set and the train bridge plate is screwed in, i can still move the escape wheel shaft...the bottom pin of the escape wheel seems to slide around - and the top pin has plenty of play but it doesn't fall into the jewel...

so question...should i remove the balance wheel assembly, set the train bridge and all the gears - and then put the balance wheel assembly back on...i'm thinking if i do so, that i will have more "room" to set the escape wheel...

is this the right process?...or is there any tricks of the trade to align the escape wheel?...

thanks...R

It could very well be the pin already broke off. It also happens to me from time to time and I serviced dozens. It is really fragile and thinner than a hair.... inspect it with a 10x loupe. If not, you just need some more patience and handiniss.

It is a lot easier to work on the gears with the balance removed. It's the first thing I remove when I start working on a movement. But it takes a lot of skills to handle a balance. If you've never done it before you run the risk of damaging the hair spring and then you can really say $#*@& :lol:

Don't want to be an ass but watchmaking isn't a profession for nothing, it takes a lot of skills and knowledge. I know this forum often makes us think we can do everything ourselves ... we can't ;)

agreed and understood...

i inspected the escape wheel and the "pin" on the bottom is there - it's ever so small...i compared it to the eta technical doc pix and it appears to be fine...

i did carfully remove the balance assembly - and that seemed to provide better access...i just find that there's a lot more play with the escape wheel - especially when the 3 other gears are set and the train bridge is on...i can move the escape gear around, but i can't seem to get it to stay in either jewel...i guess it must be just trial/error and patience...

the movement didn't have any major issues running - so i expected the escape wheel to be fine...(i had to disassemble it because the hack lever needed to be reset...

i hear ya on the weekend warrior watchsmithing...i recognize its not easy - but its fun to learn/play...

taking it day by day and movement by movement...

R

Make sure to also check the top pivot (pin) of the escape wheel. This is the part that usually breaks as it is longer ergo more fragile. If this part broke this could also lead to the escape wheel moving around. The play means one of the pivots isn't located in one of the jewels properly..

You could try fastening the screws of the bridge without the gears in place (so no pivots can break) and look how the bridge reacts. Does it move lower? Than one of the pivots wasn't located okay and thus preventing the bridge from lowering to it's correct height. It could very well be one of the other gears isn't seated correctly.

Good luck and let me know how it goes.

woo hoo...i figured it out... :thumbsupsmileyanim: (with your guys' help, of course)

the top pivot (pin) broke off in the jewel...i couldn't see it at first and i thought i checked the top pivot - but i guess i didn't...just ordered another escape wheel...

any advice for getting the broken pivot out of the jewel?... :g:

woo hoo...i figured it out... :thumbsupsmileyanim: (with your guys' help, of course)

the top pivot (pin) broke off in the jewel...i couldn't see it at first and i thought i checked the top pivot - but i guess i didn't...just ordered another escape wheel...

any advice for getting the broken pivot out of the jewel?... :g:

Glad you figured it out! Use the new escape wheel to push the broken part out or remove the bridge and give it a light tap.