When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Guestimating Service costs? Help Plz :)

Malakei

Hey guys, have a watch or two that I REALLY enjoy that I might consider sinking some money into making them better quality. Whether that means servicing the current mov't, replacing with a better, serviced mov't, lume job, better AR job etc. Wondering what would I be looking at in terms of price ranges for these services and any others you could think of. I know its a mouthful question but I think it would be very useful info for new modders to expect. Don't include any shipping costs/taxes etc just what a qualified person could/would charge. So say a Kent Parks, The Zigmeister, and someone else average a range of 150-350 for a lume job, that would be the range you would put down. Same with a movement service [clean, oil, adjust etc], and any other key services that could be done to a watch you can think of.

Cheers guys, love you :)

Going my experience of the guys I have used of which you mention a few a service ranges from $120 to $200. (Chronos, Autos and Manuals)

Lume including hands ranges from $100 to $150

AR is around $90 for removed crystal add a bit for removal and replace.

CG work starts about $35

Rebrushing or polishing work again varies on the watch and required finish but say $50 to $150

CPs, hands etc start around $50

Possibly would be better to go straight to the source. i know Ziggy has a price guide, you could probably PM him for an emailed copy.VAC will tell you what his charges are if you email him. Kent Parks used to have that info on his website, but I haven't been there in a long time ,so I can't say.

Another thing, if you have specific projects, it would probably be better to tell them what you want done, and they can then give you a pretty close estimate of the cost.

Possibly would be better to go straight to the source. i know The Zigmeister has a price guide, you could probably PM him for an emailed copy.VAC will tell you what his charges are if you email him. Kent Parks used to have that info on his website, but I haven't been there in a long time ,so I can't say.

Another thing, if you have specific projects, it would probably be better to tell them what you want done, and they can then give you a pretty close estimate of the cost.

Amen! ......and to add, since you're from Canada, your best bet is The Zigmeister!

Yeah Thanks for the input guys! Zig is my first choice for sure, just want to get an idea of what i'd be sinking into these watches. Did not realize he had a price list. Will check that out. Was going to consider other guys if they were alot cheaper but we'll see.

Yeah Thanks for the input guys! Zig is my first choice for sure, just want to get an idea of what i'd be sinking into these watches. Did not realize he had a price list. Will check that out. Was going to consider other guys if they were alot cheaper but we'll see.

Remember this old saying:

The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Remember this old saying:

The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Agree...but many think otherwise, equating low price with quality service, that may work with some items, but not watchmaking...

Was going to consider other guys if they were alot cheaper but we'll see.

If your "Price shopping" I can't help you out, sorry.

Although there are plenty around who will meet your "...alot cheaper..." criteria.

Whether spending my own money or my company's.... the driver is always "value for money" which is more than just the cheapest option Zig certainly offers great value for your money!!

and as I am sure most of you guys would agree... "you only get what you pay for " !!!

If thats true then Zig is very cheap :)

here's a quote which i got before from a modder but this is in regards to a PAM watch (asian 6497 movement):

service $100

Dial & hands relume $100 ,

Cannon pin flaten/polish work $15 ,

Replace to Toro CG $90 (or $25 to fix your original CG) ,

Remove AR $25

Matte dial $15

Edited by paneristi_man