When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Attention BK WM9 v2 and v3 Owners

d-rock

Has anyone ever compared the BK WM9 v2 and v3 side by side ??

While owning both, I've never had the opportunity (as of yet) to compare these 2 watches.

I can see where the crown position on the v2 is a tad bit low......

And IMO the winding mech of the 2678 in the v2 is virtually silent.

Other than these 2 obvious things, can some of you owners offer your opinions on this.

I'm hearing difference opinions and would enjoy hearing from actual owners or watchmakers that have owned/worked on both.

(yes, I've asked BK this as well...haven't heard back from him...he's a VERY busy guy.

Thanks guys.

Edited by d-rock

the best would be a mix of all 3 versions ;)

my perfect mix would be :

V1 bracelet, dial and movement

V2 middle case

gen complete bezel

gen crystal

gen crown

BK date-wheel

best OOB is V2. V3 was strangely a step back .....

cheers,

Frank

My opinion is to buy a gen,

Indeed I have considered that as well. But I guess I find the enjoyment of searching for parts, asking questions and trying to come up with the Best possibly rep more so than just dropping the cash, buying the gen and then....well...nothing, it's done. :wounded1:

V2 middle case

gen complete bezel

gen crystal

gen crown

BK date-wheel

cheers,

Frank

I appreciate that info, Frank. You are certainly not the first to say the v2 is actually better than the v3.

I don't have a V1 bracelet but BK is in the process of installing everything you just mentioned on the V3.

Guess maybe I should have sent the V2 for the gen parts over the V3 ???? :wounded1:

V2 middle case

gen complete bezel

gen crystal

gen crown

BK date-wheel

cheers,

Frank

For anyone looking for the V1 dial and movement, I've got a brand new set for sale, in addtion to a new V1 bezel :drinks:

I will indeed compare the 2 side by side when the V3 returns from BK.

And will see the difference the gen crystal and crown makes on the V3.

I'm curious as to how someone can see whether a SS bracelet has solid or hollow center links while it's one a wrist.??

I wasn't aware that the V1 has solid center links. Thanks for bringing that up Capt.

I will indeed compare the 2 side by side when the V3 returns from BK.

And will see the difference the gen crystal and crown makes on the V3.

I'm curious as to how someone can see whether a SS bracelet has solid or hollow center links while it's one a wrist.??

I wasn't aware that the V1 has solid center links. Thanks for bringing that up Capt.

Hey d-rock,

As much as you and I are investing in our super-franken's, don't be tempted to put the V1 band on your new V3.

You're right, on the wrist, it would be hard to tell, but why have an obvious tell on a very expensive rep build?

It would be a good fill in until you can get a V2 or V3 band, but once you see it next to the V2 you already have, you'll see.

When people notice and ask about my gen, I take it off and hand it to them to have a closer look. I want to feel that

comfortable with my rep after it's done. When the watch is off the wrist is when you would notice the solid mid-links.

Also, you really ought to consider the gen tube for your V3 build, it would help with the look of the crown to the case that was

mentioned in a link above.

BTW, did you get my last email?

Jack

Hey d-rock,

As much as you and I are investing in our super-franken's, don't be tempted to put the V1 band on your new V3.

You're right, on the wrist, it would be hard to tell, but why have an obvious tell on a very expensive rep build?

It would be a good fill in until you can get a V2 or V3 band, but once you see it next to the V2 you already have, you'll see.

When people notice and ask about my gen, I take it off and hand it to them to have a closer look. I want to feel that

comfortable with my rep after it's done. When the watch is off the wrist is when you would notice the solid mid-links.

Also, you really ought to consider the gen tube for your V3 build, it would help with the look of the crown to the case that was

mentioned in a link above.

BTW, did you get my last email?

Jack

Heya Capt.....You do have a very good point, my friend.

You're right, of course. If it's gonna be done, it should be done correctly.

I did get your email and gave you a call but you weren't in.

I will try again today,buddy.

George

Also keep in mind the height of the crown(on a side view of the case) is wrong on the V2.

Pound for Pound, the V3 is still the king.

Jack

how come ? did you actually had a V2 in you hands ? ;)

there is NO difference in the crown height there - just different shape of CGs ....

I'm pretty satisfied with my V2 - I doubt anyone can tell it's a rep without examining it really closely. That's enough for me - I really don't care about fraction of mm differences in crown positions... :whistling:

I agree with you...I too am very pleased with my v2.I've installed a gen insert on it and a REALLY GREAT GUY located a WM9 v3 bezel for it,as mine just doesn't "feel" right in the bezel click dept.(won't be home to install that until Tuesday). I'm having BK install my gen parts on the v3 simply because....well...because I can. I too am looking forward to comparing the v2 and v3 side by side. It will also allow me the opportunity to see just how much a difference the gen crystal makes compared to the Clark used on the v2. I've owned a pair of v2's and have had a chance to "loupe" them over very closely.(they're very impressive to me.)I have to admit I haven't yet taken the time to "loupe" over the v3...but I will.

And I fully intend to trade the v2 for a BK GMT II Transformer if I find the v3 to look as great as I'm thinking it will.

Edited by d-rock

how come ? did you actually had a V2 in you hands ? ;)

there is NO difference in the crown height there - just different shape of CGs ....

No, I haven't had a V2 to compare to a V3, but the review of the V2(at the top of The Rolex Area forum)done by By-Tor talks about the vertical crown height being wrong. That's what I'm referring to.

That and the fact the V2 had the small movement are the reasons I waited and bought a used V3 to super-franken out.

Jack

THANKS for the great and very informative links, Jack.

Gotta admit by the looks of the tube hole in the cases the V3 is MUCH better to center.

And I can certainly see your point on that. A gen bezel assembly would most likely make that much more noticable. :drinks:

They both look great. But I'm not sure the variation in the cases has anything to do with the comparison.

In looking at the top pic, I'd say the crown looks a tad bit low on the sub to the left. but then again, the Sub on the right either is or is replicated to be an earlier version. What are they, my friend??

Edited by d-rock