When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gmt-master Ii And Explorer Ii, The New Generation

chrgod

Lately, I have had some "bad luck" in my purchases.. I had just ordered a white Navitimer "Serie Speciale" when the new generation Navitimers started to appear.

Likewise, just after I had ordered the Explorer II and GMT-Master II with ETA-movement with adjustable hour hand, I read The Zigmeisters review of the modified 2836-2 movement... :mellow:

Anyway.. Onto the watches:

126486-20265.jpg

First impression is very good! Crisp, nice dial, good date font and magnification and nice crown. The movements seems to work well, at least for the moment. :)

I might be a nitpicker, but the single issue that has prevented me from buying the previous Rolex GMT watches has been the thick GMT-hand.. Finally they have gotten this right!!! The date font and the numbers on the bezel (for the EXP2) also seems really good. The bottom-inside of the CGs are a bit too fat, but this is hardly noticeable.

126486-20266.jpg

126486-20267.jpg

Sorry for not setting the date to 28... :D

The GMT-Master is not exctly what I had expected.. Firstly, I ordered the Red/black version.. Secondly, the numbers on the rotatable bezel dont have the "Sans Serifs" as in the pictures from trustytime. :angry: ( Or am I wrong??). Anyway, a nice watch and a keeper... I might pick up a genuine bezel, modify it and try to fit it.

126486-20268.jpg

As advertised

126486-20269.jpg

As received.. Nice watch, but weird shade of black :lol: I actually prefer Coke.

In short.. The Explorer II is definently the one I would rate highest..

Else.. Information and shipping from Trusty is first class as always!

These are lovely pieces by the way :wub: ...high 90%'s in accuracy...:3a: Congratulations!

The color on the first picture is without a doubt blue...(unless a weird light artifact)... :D

The ExplII still has the wrong hour markers as the lume is encased in a stainless steel insert as opposed to the original in which the hour markers have a black surrounding (such an easy fit...and hardly noticeable), CG's are very good, the dial is beautiful (I had PT's version), and the bezel insert is spot on as the hours are centered on the bezel... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

BTW, Here's a pic of the gen expl2 just for reference...

126549-20244.jpg

Alex

The hour marker surroundings on the EXP 2 are actually black, as for the genuine.. :) I bought it for a friend, while the GMT-Master was for me. Think I rather should have picked another EXP2... :g:

126783-20196.jpg

I somehow think the GMT-Master looks old-fashioned and a bit "cheap" next to the white Explorer 2. The Explorer II is a nice "stealth-Rolex"... But I have always wanted a GMT-Master, and I had to check it out.

126783-20197.jpg

Congrats on the two watches. Been drewling a bit on the red/black GMT for a while now, but have been waiting for an updated version... And now that I see that the black is actually blue, I dont know anymore ;)

Thanks.. There is a proper red/black version of the GMT-Master. But the dealer I ordered from just mixed up and sent me the red/blue version... Anyway, I dont need to send it back for replacement. Red-Blue looks a bit "Seiko", but ok. :)

very interesting - i got last week the same GMT-Master like you ...

but from PT.

i was very disappointed with this watch ... its seems like a new batch of

cn-watches with new faults ....

the dial printing is very bad - and on mine is the date-mag is off (yours look fine).

mine went straight to the rep-clinic in Austria (thx Oliver) to get a

new dial ! + insert ....

so way more expensive that i thought :angry:

Frank