When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Leaving for Italy tomorrow--what should I bring?

Estaban

I'm heading for the land of Panerai tomorrow. Will be in Florence, Rome and Milan. What should I bring in terms of watches. I've got a 196, an 029 and a Breitling Navitimer. Should I stick with one watch?

Of course I'll bring a couple of straps if I go the Pam route.

Thanks for obliging my silly question.

what you're brining in is not as important as what you are taking out... my advise... barolas, salami's and aged parmasianos...

A couple of month ago a danish women had to pay a ticket in Italy because she was caught with a rep.

The ticket was almost 15.000 Euro....

I wouldn't wear a rep to Italy...

I spent several months in Siena a few years ago and would go to Florence often. One thing that I noticed is there are tons of street vendors on the streets of Florence selling illegal goods such as sunglasses, bags, and yes, watches. Most of it is junk but that's beside the point. The police definately watch these guys but they still do their business, their products are just in suitcases and on portable cardboard walls, for those of you who have been there, you know what I mean lol. Take any watch you please as I personally wouldn't be concerned about anything there. Just don't get caught with any grass, don't recommend it :thumbdown:

Now coming back is a different story. I wouldn't have the watch on when I came back through US customs. To many potential questions to answer if you know what I mean. lol

Do scope out the San Lorenzo market in Florence. Leather goods are the best you'll find anywhere in the world for the price. Perhaps there are some pam straps there as well. When I was there, I wasn't into watches like I am now so I don't remember if there were any straps :thumbsupsmileyanim: . There's also some pretty cool watches at the market and you might even find a decent rep or two, if you look. lol have fun

A couple of month ago a danish women had to pay a ticket in Italy because she was caught with a rep.

The ticket was almost 15.000 Euro....

I wouldn't wear a rep to Italy...

Situations such as these are circumstancial. I'm sure she wasn't just stopped on the street because she was wearing a rep. The violation of wearing a rep could only be secondary to something else unless you are a complete idiot about it. If you're wearing the watch like everybody else wears a watch 'minding your own business' you should be fine. And guys, lets face it...our reps are the best in the world!!! 99.9% remember :lol::lol:

If someone spots one of our reps, chances are they're a member of this board! lol

Situations such as these are circumstancial. I'm sure she wasn't just stopped on the street because she was wearing a rep. The violation of wearing a rep could only be secondary to something else unless you are a complete idiot about it. If you're wearing the watch like everybody else wears a watch 'minding your own business' you should be fine. And guys, lets face it...our reps are the best in the world!!! 99.9% remember :lol::lol:

If someone spots one of our reps, chances are they're a member of this board! lol

Couldn't have put it better. I've travelled into and out of Italy so many times I have lost count (I hold Italian citizenship). Many times I've had at least one rep on my wrist and several in my luggage.

I've bought reps there (before I found this place) and encouraged (but now discourage) others to do so. I've even befriended the vendors, jovially told them their watches were rubbish but I'd keep buying their leather belts and wallets if the quality held up (as I said, backdoor of the factory stuff). I know Italian policemen, minor politicians and other persons of good standing who have bought reps.

Never been fined yet, and none of my extensive group of family, friends and acquaintances know anyone who has been pulled for it either...

36 years and counting.....

Edited by r11co

Couldn't have put it better. I've travelled into and out of Italy so many times I have lost count (I hold Italian citizenship). Many times I've had at least one rep on my wrist and several in my luggage.

I've bought reps there (before I found this place) and encouraged (but now discourage) others to do so. I've even befriended the vendors, jovially told them their watches were rubbish but I'd keep buying their leather belts and wallets if the quality held up (as I said, backdoor of the factory stuff). I know Italian policemen, minor politicians and other persons of good standing who have bought reps.

Never been fined yet, and none of my extensive group of family, friends and acquaintances know anyone who has been pulled for it either...

36 years and counting.....

Forget watches...

Bring with you a camera, fork and knife.

No doubt Italy is a country with amazing landscapes, sceneries and historical cities.

Last not least we have the finest food in the world. (i'm not very impartial in this case :D )

Better not to list our drawbacks and problems...anyway Italy is indeed a beautiful place for holidays. :bye2:

Probably the most complete and varied country in the world for nature beauties (i mean sea, mountain, hill...not women :p )..

Have a nice trip. ;)

Oh yeah, one more tip for ya. Bring along any medication you might need including advil, allergy meds, etc. Over the counter drugs are nearly impossible to get in Italy without a prescription and a doctor visit=$$. I'm not saying bring tons of it but definitely bring enough to get you through your trip. If you go to Siena, eat at the Osteria Titti. I believe it's in the Porcupine neighborhood, near the edge of the city. good luck