When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Leaving for Italy tomorrow--what should I bring?

Estaban

I'm heading for the land of Panerai tomorrow. Will be in Florence, Rome and Milan. What should I bring in terms of watches. I've got a 196, an 029 and a Breitling Navitimer. Should I stick with one watch?

Of course I'll bring a couple of straps if I go the Pam route.

Thanks for obliging my silly question.

carabinieri would not tell a pam from a small burnout hamburger, they would just ask you why are you carrying such a hamburger on your wrist :lol:

When will you arrive to Italy? Which city first? How long are you going to stay?

I wouldn't take any.....if the carabinieri stop you and think you have replica Panny's.....they'll lock you up with a chocolate key and eat it......!

Don't panic the man. That is as likely as the Scottish Police locking you up for smoking in public when the ban comes in...

To be honest the Italian general populace will be more impressed with the Breitling. Panerai had a fad following in Italy a few years ago, but most Italians now know the brand is as Italian as Chicago Deep Pan pizzas.

Oh, and it's a mistake to visit Milan after Florence - I guarentee after the beauty of the Tuscan capital you will be sorely disappointed.

Edited by r11co

to be caught with a rep in Italy....uff!!!...you wouldn't like that, belive me...

you could go to jail and pay a lot of $$$$....or €€€€...i've read it in a italian watch magazine

go to Firenze, enter the Panerai boutique and buy yourself a limited edition Pam that can only be bought there!!!

to be caught with a rep in Italy....uff!!!...you wouldn't like that, belive me...

you could go to jail and pay a lot of $$$$....or €€€€...i've read it in a italian watch magazine

RUBBISH! I read in a newspaper once that there was a double-decker bus on the moon. I take it the watch magazine contained a large amount of advertising for Rolex et al (no vested interest there then...)

The only reported incident like this was when some daft tourist bought a pair of replica sunglasses from a street vendor. No custodial sentence was passed - in fact I think a small fine was levied (and probably pocketed by the arresting officer). YES, there is a maximum sentence for dealing in fake goods, but you'd have to be daft to buy the crap they sell on the streets in Italy anyway....

I'd be surprised if the same street vendors aren't still out in force peddling fakes directly under the nose of the authorities. Let us know what you find. And enjoy your trip,

The watches are rubbish, but Rome is a good place to find ultra convincing Louis Vuitton bags, allegedly coming out the back door of the Italian leather factories where the real ones are made....

I was in Italy last Spring and it is a watch lovers paradice! Rome, Venice and Florence all have shops with great watches in their windows and people with nothing to do but let you try on any of these beauties you want. The Panerai store in Florence is the original Officine Panerai store front. Very nice people, but I wouldn't advise wearing a rep in there. I didn't bring a Rep with me, but bought a cheap PAM from a street vendor in Rome. Not a great rep but a good beater. Have a great trip.

@Esteban, i am sure that 1 watch is more than enough for this trip, you will have so much to do that you will defenetly forget to even look at your watch to know what time it is, go with the breitling.

BTW seriously do not worry about the carabinieri stories, not true they have more important things to do than chasing private individuals (tourists)wearing reps, have a nice trip and take care.

All the Best

Edited by the collector

RUBBISH! I read in a newspaper once that there was a double-decker bus on the moon. I take it the watch magazine contained a large amount of advertising for Rolex et al (no vested interest there then...)

The only reported incident like this was when some daft tourist bought a pair of replica sunglasses from a street vendor. No custodial sentence was passed - in fact I think a small fine was levied (and probably pocketed by the arresting officer). YES, there is a maximum sentence for dealing in fake goods, but you'd have to be daft to buy the crap they sell on the streets in Italy anyway....

Which gives me an opportunity to remind you all that the Links Section has been updated with some good links to International Watch Press sites. ;)

JTB

Horrendous amounts of money!

:huh:

Italy ain't as cheap as it used to be (thanks to the confusion over the Euro) but it ain't that expensive. My trips there still practically pay for themselves with the booze I bring back (my friends wonder why I have such a big car for just me and the missus...)

I remember in the last years of the Lira (3000 to the £) going to Venice and living like a king....

If it is REALLY expensive you are looking for, try anywhere in Scandinavia, or Iceland.

Edited by r11co

Bring money. Lots of it. You will have a great time. :Jumpy:

As a foreigner, the Carabinieri are your aloof best friends. They are not watch experts and not into messing about in that area. They basically want Italy to be a safe place to live in and visit. If you are somewhat well dressed and polite, you will do just fine with them. The Carabinieri are probably the most subdued people (even more than Priests) in Italy. They have nothing to fear as they run Italy 24/7 in the background. Never call the police in Italy; call the Carabinieri.