When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tne new Pam 177L

klocklind1

Hi all Pam lovers!

I just wanted to tell You to check ALL screws on the new Pam177L as when I was taken my apart I could VERY easy to unscrew the screws at the crownguard. :wounded1:

And they would have been dropped if I not had them tighten, so use the right with of an screwdriver and try to tighten them so You will not loose them! :whistling:

And the strap-screws is made of TITANIUM ( I am almost sure of that!) and is VERY nicely finished BUT be sure to use the RIGHT screwdriver and tighten them properly. But remember that the screws made of titanium might be weaker in strenght than the steel ones!

ALL IN ALL IT CERTENLY IS THE BEST TITANIUM PAM MADE PERIOD :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Great point mate :thumbsupsmileyanim:

But its good advice with any rep to check all screws and even think about loctite once you have it the way you want it :)

Loctite can be a good solution BUT specially on titanium-pams it can be a good thing to ONLY put some Loctite ( the BLUE one !) on OUTSIDE of the screws for the crownguard, as I think that is enough to hold the screws in place!

Titanium is softer than steel ( and get damaged much easier than the steel cases!) so that is why I reccomend to use the loctite on the outside of the CG screws because if You use loctite on the whole of the screw there is a risk of not being able to unscrew the screw without damaging the casethreads :mellow:

BUT if You use the weakest Loctite ( there is three of them !) You might be able to use loctite on the whole of the screw :whistling:

Thanks, but also before unscrewing (if used the blu liquid to stop it) is better to use a lighter to warm the lock screw

Good advice too :thumbsupsmileyanim:

And do NEVER use loctite of any kind of the strap-screws as You will probably NEVER going to be able to unscrew them without damage the screw or case :whistling:

Always try to "feel" the threads when You screw them back in to the case and remember to use the SAME screw in the SAME lug because it is safer that way to not get the threads damaged :whistling:

But the threads on the pam new 177L is the BEST I have seen on a titanium replica watch :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Titanium is softer than steel ( and get damaged much easier than the steel cases!)

Actually that is nonsense. Titanium is harder than steel and does not get as quickly damaged as steel. And while being harder its significantly lighter. Also its 10 times more expensive.

So if the cases are prone to damage then that is because the rep makers use shitty Ti and/or shitty machines to make them and/or assemble the watches without taking care.

Since titanium is so hard, it's also brittle. If the threads arent cut very clean, they can simply break off when screwing too hard or crossthreaded.

Obviously the Gens dont suffer from losing the threads after the second strapchange and I'm pretty sure OP doesnt using *magic* to make them..

Edited by Tom Hawkes

Actually that is nonsense. Titanium is harder than steel and does not get as quickly damaged as steel. And while being harder its significantly lighter. Also its 10 times more expensive.

So if the cases are prone to damage then that is because the rep makers use shitty Ti and/or shitty machines to make them and/or assemble the watches without taking care.

Since titanium is so hard, it's also brittle. If the threads arent cut very clean, they can simply break off when screwing too hard or crossthreaded.

Obviously the Gens dont suffer from losing the threads after the second strapchange and I'm pretty sure OP doesnt using *magic* to make them..

I know it's in Italian but I think with the help of Google Translator is easy to make a sense of what is written... is talk of a gen panerai 177 which has a weak quality of titanium:

http://www.orologiando.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18248&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Have You ever had any GENUINE titanium watches to try that it is harder ? :whistling:

The ONLY titanium that is harder/equal to steel is a mix called 6/4 that is used in screws where and it is ONLY ONE watch that is made of that titanium and that is the Tag Heuer kirium.

The rest is using the "standard 3/2,5 mix.

:whistling: