When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Swiss Corundrum Sapphire Crystal for PAM 212 / 253 / 233 / 270 - Pre-Order is here

BigCrown

Swiss Corundrum Sapphire Crystal for PAM 212 / 253 / 233 / 270 - PRE-ORDER is here

I know a lot of members have inquired about the dome crystal for the PAM 212 (primarlily) but also for the PAM 243, 233 and 270. Your requests have been answered and we will have these crystals made and shipped by the end of January 2011.

We will be doing pre-order only becasue of the complexity of these crystals, upfront cost and the costly Anti-reflective coating.

The crystals will be:

-1:1 from our original example.

-light Anti-reflective coating per the genuine example

-include 1 gasket for installation

-some aditional gaskets will be available if you accidentaly destroy yours while installing

-be made of the highest quality materials and highest standard of quality assurance and control.

Here are scans of the genuine example that will be used to make this new product:

photo5.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo.jpg

The cost for these crystals will be $169 plus the appropriate shipping.

Shipping: we sincerely appologize about the Luminor 44mm crystals being shipped during the 'Christmas Rush'. The holiday season really slowed down the delivery time (I know some of you in Asia, Europe and Australia are still patiently waiting). We will do a better job of shipping and providing tracking with this order. the second time is the charm!

At this time, I would like to introduce one of our partners, Eric (BIG-E), who will be taking the orders and organizing this project on the client side, while I handle the engineering and the Quality Assurance and Quality Control.

Thank you to all of the future members who share the passion to make our hobby so enjoyable.

Best regards,

Crown

Hello everyone, I'm Crown's partner in these Swiss Corundrum projects. That is my Franken 212 in the pic's that will be disassembled to use my OEM crystal for the mold. Anyone who need's to get a hold of me can not only pm me, but certainly feel free to e-mail me at pegram@carolina.rr.com. Crown made a mistake in the heading and put 243 instead of 253...LOL...guess he was excited. The price is $169.00 per crystal plus shipping. You can PP the money to pegram@carolina@carolina.rr.com.

Shipping rates are: USPS PRIORITY $8.00

USPS EXPRESS $22.00

USPS GLOBAL PRIORITY $14.00

USPS EXPRESS INTERNATIONAL $32.00

If you have any questions, please don't hesistate to e-mail or pm me.

• 3 weeks later...

It's taking alittle longer than expected because of the curves and thickness. No worries as it can and is being done as they have my OEM 212/253 crystal to go by. It's just not as quick as our flat 44mm Luminor crystals took. They will be 100% exact in everyway, including A/R when they are done. It makes such a huge difference, you cannot even describe or see it in a picture, as so many have tried to do. The only way is to see it in person, or compare a rep 253 to a friends gen 253 side by side,but in person.

Had this on my mind earlier:

As PeteM is now trying to take measurements for me. I'm not entirely sure that a Genuine crystal will fit the majority of rep versions that have been released thus far. Just from the description of case construction that PeteM has given me, (he has the new "1:1" 253), it appears QUITE different than case construction of V1, V2, V3 and V4 cases. If this is the case, I have serious questions as to whether or not your Gen crystal will even fit one of these rep versions. It's quite possible that your 1:1 crystal will only fit the new version 212's and 253's and not any other version. As such, older version 253s and 212 outnumber these new 212 and 253s by a lot.

any info that you can give us on whether or not the gen crystal fits any rep??

Once PeteM provides me with dimensions on his new crystal, we can determine whether or not V1-V5 crystals are interchangeable. As far as the Gen crystal being a direct swap for the reps, was the gen crystal install on your franken seamless?? and if so, which version 212 do you have?

• 2 weeks later...

I finally have an update to this thread. Thank you for your patience.

Here is the project status:

It has taken FOREVER to get this far. Mainly that the 212/253 crystal from Panerai is twice as complex as the manufacturer thought.

I hope a lot of you find this interesting, because I sure have.

Here are some facts about the crystals:

there are two unique shapes ion this type of crystal: the outside dome and the inside dome. They are completely different shaped domes. This means a separate mold will need to be made for inside shape of the crystal in addition to the mold for the outside.

Now, picture this: the outside shape is ground out of the raw material (a rod of swiss corundum sapphire). Then the inside shape needs to be ground out from the inside. After many tests, our manufacturer has concluded that there will be a high failure rate of crystals that won;t pass the QA tests after production. Basically, the inside of the crystal needs to be placed perfectly centered or else the crystal won't be symmetrical and considered to be a 'failure'.

So, with these challenges in front of us, our manufacturer has placed a minimum order of 50 pieces. We have sold about 20. In short, if we do not reach the quantity we need the project will not happen and everyone gets their money back. No harm done, just a whole lot of effort lost. This is the exact same story for the PAM 127 crystals.

So, how long should we wait for the ordered number to reach what we need? May I propose 3 weeks?

In the meantime, if anyone is dissatisfied with the timeline, let me know (for the PAM 127 crystals) and BigE (for the 212 crystals). Thank you for your continued support.

• 2 weeks later...