When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Problem with my PAM 177 Titanium Rep

kalengkong

Hi All,

I'm new here, I just bought the rep PAM177 Titanium few days ago, the watch looks great.

all working good .

but this morning when I tried to adjust the time, pulled out the Crown and adjust it.... all GOOD.

BUT.... when I tried to push it back to normal position.. it didn't "CLICK"

and when i tried to wind it, its still in "adjust time position"

I tried to pull it out and push it back... = didnt work

tried to pull push pull push... didnt work as well.

it just didn't "CLICK" back to normal position.

any suggestion how to fix this ?

Sorry, what i mean with the "click" is = I didnt hear+feel the normal "Click" sound.

it just a Smooth Push.

I have several 6497 pams and some have the same issue you are describing (although my 177 does not have this problem). Some of the more senior pam people on this forum may have better solutions, but what I do is turn the crown slightly while pressing the crown into the case. It usually takes several tries, but eventually it will click back into the winding mode. It helps to do this action very slowly. If it does not work after a few tries, try turning the crown slowly in the other direction while slowly pushing the crown to the case. The key on my 6497's with this issue is to do it slowly.

Edited by ugoderosa

Hi All,

I'm new here, I just bought the rep PAM177 Titanium few days ago, the watch looks great.

all working good .

but this morning when I tried to adjust the time, pulled out the Crown and adjust it.... all GOOD.

BUT.... when I tried to push it back to normal position.. it didn't "CLICK"

and when i tried to wind it, its still in "adjust time position"

I tried to pull it out and push it back... = didnt work

tried to pull push pull push... didnt work as well.

it just didn't "CLICK" back to normal position.

any suggestion how to fix this ?

With the crown pushed in, have you tried to close the lever to see if it clicks to the winding position?

You could also try to pull the crown out and then push it in very hard with both your index fingers, one above and one below the CG in order to keep the force symmetric. If that does not work, then solving the problem may get more complicated possibly involving the crown gasket, the position of the crown on the stem, and possibly the tube.

With the crown pushed in, have you tried to close the lever to see if it clicks to the winding position?

You could also try to pull the crown out and then push it in very hard with both your index fingers, one above and one below the CG in order to keep the force symmetric. If that does not work, then solving the problem may get more complicated possibly involving the crown gasket, the position of the crown on the stem, and possibly the tube.

Yes, i've tried to close the Lever . it didn't make any clicks. :(

and

Yes, I always push it with 2 fingers, to keep the force symetric.

I have several 6497 pams and some have the same issue you are describing (although my 177 does not have this problem). Some of the more senior pam people on this forum may have better solutions, but what I do is turn the crown slightly while pressing the crown into the case. It usually takes several tries, but eventually it will click back into the winding mode. It helps to do this action very slowly. If it does not work after a few tries, try turning the crown slowly in the other direction while slowly pushing the crown to the case. The key on my 6497's with this issue is to do it slowly.

Thanks Ugoderosa.

I 've tried few times, turn the crown slightly while pushing... but still no result.

maybe i need to be more slowly.... i'll keep trying.

Thanks Ugoderosa.

I 've tried few times, turn the crown slightly while pushing... but still no result.

maybe i need to be more slowly.... i'll keep trying.

Keep trying. It took me a while to get the knack of it. I turn the crown slowly, about 1/4 of a turn while pushing to the case. And again, try turning both ways. I hope this helps. 3 of my pams have this same annoying problem, but once you get a feel for it, it is not that bad to deal with.

Good luck

Yes, i've tried to close the Lever . it didn't make any clicks. :(

and

Yes, I always push it with 2 fingers, to keep the force symetric.

Since the crown is spring-loaded, it appears that the spring in the crown absorbs all the force when you push the crown in as much as you can and that there is not enough pressure on the stem to overcome the resistance the stem encounters when it moves from the setting to the winding position. You may be able to cross the threshold by turning the crown and trying different positions as ugoderosa suggested , but if that does not work, then it is probably necessary to look a the workings and interaction of crown, gasket, stem and tube.

Since the crown is spring-loaded, ....

yes! you are right.

I've been non-stop trying to push+turn as Ugoderosa said, but still no result until now :(

its soooo smooth, and i can't feel anything. it seems like "loose" . no gear at all.

But I noticed that everytime I pushed..I can feel a tiny force pushing the crown back to me.

And if I leave it. the spring push the crown away from the Case about 1 mm.

and I think there must be something wrong with the spring, that prevent the crown to reach the "CLICK" state.

Anyway, I've contacted my dealer, she asked me to send it back to her, and she will look after it for me.

i'll send it tomorrow.

Edited by kalengkong

Sometimes the stem will come loose as the set screw will work itself a little loose. I have had to tighten the set screw on a few of my 6497/8 based watches as well as a few for friends.

Although I don't think it's the same problem, I do feel as though it's worth mentioning just as one of those FYI kind of posts :)

This had happened to my 177 and I had to send it back to the dealer as well.I guess theres some issues with the movements on certain batches from factory

looks like the stem broke....it's a very delicate part, never push it and pull it several times, you may damage the sliding or windingpinion or settinglever

I've sent an email to Tony, let's see how it goes.

But dann, Chinese New Year is approaching, am sure he will go on long leaves :(

I had the same exact issue with my 219. What I found out is the stem was cut too short. The solution at the factory was to unscrew the crown slightly and then glue the stem in place. What happens when you wind the watch and resistance in the spring builds is the glue snaps and then screws the crown into the stem even more, making it impossible to put the movement back in winding mode. Seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVlmrzVMl20

You are going to need a new stem. I had a spare stem from a spare movement. I cut it slightly longer and installed it. The watch is fine now.

Got lucky with mine so far. Keeps perfect time and no problems but as Miles shows there have been many issues. it is a very low end asian movement and The Zigmeister, Rex and Vac will likely be servicing and attempting to repair alot of these.

My advice is to attempt to contact one of our modders and schedule a service and repair. Not sure how to contact Zig but this is his playground and I am sure one of our brothers can steer you in the right direction

Many of us have already attempted to make plans to source a better movement replacement