When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Bangkok

kingkaiser

HI all - heading to Bangkok later this month, and the advice I've gotten has been to know my watches and prepare to be tested. Is this because the MBK dealer (visited by many users here) will try to screw you on prices, on mechanism, or will just sell you a crap rep? Should I be studying the tells, or the mechanism of the watch? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks all!

Most of the reps sold in mbk are unfortunately very low quality ones... there are very few "good" ones... If you find a good one they are so overpriced and you have to hassle quite some time to get a price that is slightly better than we'd get from our dealers... not worth it in my opinion. Only plus is that you have the actual watch in your hands without waiting and can check it for flaws yourself.

Indeed a lot of crap is sold lately.

Can't help you with a list how to determine which flaws or signs you have to look at .

The difference between a gen ETA and a China clone is hard to tell.

I have brought a gen ETA to a watchsmith who pointed it out as a good duplicated China clone

which has a value half of the gen.

Show us your catch when you get back.

Carpe Diem

Cats

After learning the difference between street fakes and the quality of the ones our dealers have here... Everytime i travel i try to seek out the same quality from vendors. This usually isn't too much trouble at all. Just asking vendors for better quality than what's on display (asking for "swiss machine" works in Asia), will get you to the back rooms.

The problem I've found is that, sure they always have the same quality as found here, sure they'll let you inspect it and even open the caseback and put it on a timing machine - but you'll only save a couple bucks and shipping. Saving a couple bucks and shipping is great of course, but there's no recourse like with our dealers. If it dies within moments it's your tough luck.

My advice is always to have fun buying street quality junk for little money and use the great services of our dealers here for serious purchases. After much experience with this in the last couple years, for me, it's the only way to do it.

Have fun though! It always is!

:D

Forget REPs in Thailand......not worth the trouble! Enjoy the "Thai" body massage instead! If this is your first......it's priced like watches, Good-Better-Best....just take the middle road, not unless you a Deep Pocket, then go for the Top-Of-The-Line!:thumbsupsmileyanim:

Forget REPs in Thailand......not worth the trouble! Enjoy the "Thai" body massage instead! If this is your first......it's priced like watches, Good-Better-Best....just take the middle road, not unless you a Deep Pocket, then go for the Top-Of-The-Line!:thumbsupsmileyanim:

Mmm, now I could go for one of those after shoveling 3 feet of snow!!! :D