When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Franken-Muller

ubiquitous

Recently did this one for a friend- I spent some time thinking of a watch that would suit her style and taste, and the Muller fit the bill perfectly.

Started with a gen dial- Index markers a little dirty and smudged:

IMG_8875.jpg

IMG_8877.jpg

IMG_8878.jpg

IMG_8881.jpg

IMG_8879.jpg

Standard rep case:

IMG_8885.jpg

IMG_8887.jpg

IMG_8889.jpg

Dial relumed:

IMG_9530.jpg

Fitted to the movement:

IMG_9532.jpg

As it currently stands:

IMG_9540.jpg

IMG_9537.jpg

Next steps:

1) ETA 2892 swap:

IMG_8977.jpg

2) Gen crown and tube:

IMG_0196.jpg

IMG_0198.jpg

Not a typical build for me, but a nice change from the usual :)

Thanks for looking!

//ubi

Thanks, red!

It took some time finding the parts... The dial needed some work, and I wasn't exactly sure if it would fit the case. Several aspects of this project were a leap of faith, and I was never certain if I'd end up with a working piece, or a pile of parts that just didn't mesh.

Luckily, everything worked out in the end.

The dial relume turned out well, but I think some of the edge/borders of a few of the numerals got scraped off on accident when the old lume was removed. It's kind of hard to avoid stuff like that as the shape and size of those indicies can't be easy to work with. The next hurdle will be fitting the crown/tube; I have a feeling that some custom work will be needed there, but to what extent remains to be seen.

All in all, something fun and different. When I started this project, I felt certain that this would not be a watch for me. By the time I had most of the stuff worked out, I started to appreciate it's charm and good looks :)

You know, it really is quite an interesting piece! So much depth with the case shape and what not; the finish is quite sumptious, considering it's just stainless steel.

Hey Ubi thanks for share with us.. Question is where you found case for FM? Where bought?

seymur,

I purchased the watch from King :)

Cheers!

//ubi

Oh i see :) .. And dial fitted to case with no problem? :) Previus I am asked some dealer regarding Crazy houre or Cosquistador gen dials possible fit to Rep Case... Their answer was no it wont fit.. ((

You know, it really is quite an interesting piece! So much depth with the case shape and what not; the finish is quite sumptious, considering it's just stainless steel.

seymur,

I purchased the watch from King :)

Cheers!

//ubi

Love it Ubi. The FM case grows on you. I love mine.

Great, Randy! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I realize I totally flaked on sending mine out to you now... but it sure looks like you didn't need it for inspiration!

Thanks, gents. After building this for my friend, I discovered an appreciation for the brand and even more specifically for the Conquistador. For me, this was really a piece that had to be seen in hand; it captures well in pics, but to experience the curves and facets of the case, the elaborate sunburst guilloche of the gen dial... These really are beautiful watches.

Oh i see :) .. And dial fitted to case with no problem? :) Previus I am asked some dealer regarding Crazy houre or Cosquistador gen dials possible fit to Rep Case... Their answer was no it wont fit.. ((

Indeed- The dial fit without any modifications or adjustments. I wasn't certain if it would; all I could do when I was picking up parts was eyeball the overall distances of the datewindow and the 6:00 edge of the rehaut and make a best guess. Luckily, when everything arrived and I test fit the parts, it all worked out.

amazing buddy, should make this your daytime job,,, :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Thanks sir, but as fun as it is, I think doing this as a full time job would drive me crazy :)

Thanks gang!

//ubi

I am looked around and seen that 2 version of rep Cosquistador .. One are cheap ones with 21J about 100$ and another with ETA that cost more than 200$... Interesthing which version you used? :)

Thanks, gents. After building this for my friend, I discovered an appreciation for the brand and even more specifically for the Conquistador. For me, this was really a piece that had to be seen in hand; it captures well in pics, but to experience the curves and facets of the case, the elaborate sunburst guilloche of the gen dial... These really are beautiful watches.

Indeed- The dial fit without any modifications or adjustments. I wasn't certain if it would; all I could do when I was picking up parts was eyeball the overall distances of the datewindow and the 6:00 edge of the rehaut and make a best guess. Luckily, when everything arrived and I test fit the parts, it all worked out.

Thanks sir, but as fun as it is, I think doing this as a full time job would drive me crazy :)

Thanks gang!

//ubi

Mine was an old Rose Gold model Conquistador from Chinatown. It had a Miyota movement (8215) which is a workhorse. I had Rob PVD it and relume the dial with Black superlume. Came out great. I have been eying a Pink Gen dial from Toumii on the bay Ubi and was thinking of swapping that in and giving it to my teenage daughter .

From this:

frankmullerconquistador.jpg

To This:

frankmullerconquistador.jpg