When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen Crowns for GMT II and EXP II

d-rock

I'm looking to go with a gen crown on the GMT II and Explorer II. Seems I recall reading that while the correct gen crown is the 24-603 6mm, some say it's actually too small and have used something else though I don't recall what that "something else" was. Anyone know which it is for the 16570 and the 16760 Exp II and GMT II. Thanks guys.

6mm crowns are a little tricky. If you're trying to put a gen 6mm crown on a rep, you're going to have to determine what the case tube is first. If it is the 5.3mm case tube, a 603 crown will work. If your rep has a 6mm case tube, you'll need a 24-602 crown which is an older crown.

The difference is the size of the hole in the case- a 5.3mm case tube goes in a 2.5mm x .25 hole and the 6mm tube goes in a 3.0mm x .35 hole. The 6mm hole is the same size as the hole for a 24-7030 tube.

Most of the sellers on the bay have no clue about the difference between a 602 and a 603! I've got a spare 603 crown even though I specifically asked if it was a 602 crown.

Since the OD of the crowns is around 6mm, you have to measure the tube. That means removing the crown and stem and checking the tube with your calipers. You could buy a 6.0mm tube and a 5.3mm tube from Ofrei to help you compare. Or you buy a 6.0mm crown and a 5.3mm crown and use whichever works. A set of taps would also be a good investment as well as the case tube wrench for installing them. If it's a one shot deal, you need to find a watchmaker to help you so it only costs you say $50 or so all told, maybe $60- $40 for the crown and $20 to install it- certainly no more than $80- 50/30.