When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A Good Daytona Replica?

Trunks817

Hello All,

I absolutely love the Daytona model but I am unable to afford a real one. The main concern I have is finding a replica that is automatic and has working chronograph functions. I assume the Asian 21j does not have working chrono but I am unsure about the Japanese quarts movement or the other Asian movements. Can anyone help me out?

thanks!

There are no decent modern Daytona replicas, they are rubbish, the modified A7750 with seconds at 6 WILL fail and stop working, and 21j/quartz options are very poor quality and not accurate at all.....

Best best is to go vintage, with one of Spinmasters Rolex 6263 watches, or DW (DW Watch's section on this forum) ;)

Oh, welcome to RWG! :D

I've got a sec@6 Daytona rep that has been running strong for the last 5 yrs. I just had it serviced for the first time by Zigmeister, and he says it's a keeper. I think it's more luck of the draw. I've chatted with a few others on the various forums who all have had no problems with theirs.

In fact, I'm wearing it right now!

If you really love it, buy one and send it to Zigmeister for a proper tune-up and inspection. Get it lumed while it's there too!

Just be aware that a lot of them have failed...

daytona-3.jpg

The old first versions of the secs@6 used low beat movements, no? And were more reliable as a result. The new ones are pretty much paperweights waiting to happen. I thought The Zigmeister recommended removing the chronograph functions and freezing the seconds at 6, if you wanted it to run long term and reliably? :)

The 1st generation A7750 used in the earliest secs @ 6 Daytona reps seem to have survived, whereas many/most of the later/current versions suffered high failure rates due to the design's inherent compromises. If your case & rotor looks like the watch in Step 2, then you likely have 1 of the heartier, early watches. I was fortunate to have picked up 1 each of the earliest 116508 & 116520s, both of which have never missed a tick, so to speak

moderndaytonas003a2__-2_tonemapped1.jpg