When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

UPO eta copy rotor won't spin

urbanshogun

Hey, along with my 177 I got an UPO for my brother. It is the asian clone movement.

The watch works fine when manually wound, but the rotor does not spin freely. the most it gets is half a turn and about 30 seconds of power reserve.

Is this an easy fix? do i just grease the rotor bearing thingy? what kind of lube/oil/grease do I use?

thanks guys

First of all you should not wind your rep,they have less problems when you swivel/rotate the watch with you hand. Have you removed the caseback yet? Sometimes the rubber seal that go's around the perimeter of the movement gets loose and can obstruct the rotor. Can you take a pic of the movement?

It could very well be the rotor isn't meshing well with the reverse wheels. Do the 2 small wheels turn when you move the rotor? Hoe does it feel when you turn the rotor? Any resistance? If you tighten the rotor screw while the gear teeth ain't meshing well you could end up destroying the reversing wheels so be carefull. Make sure the teeth mesh before you tighten the screw.

not sure what the problem could be.. if the rotor spins freely with the case back off then everything should be fine. Does the rotor move with the caseback off? I did notice that you´re missing a screw in the movement holder.. (the metal part outside of the movement). Don{t use any grease on your rotor. If it´s an ETA why not get it serviced to guarantee years of good use??

Another thing.. you shouldn´t need to hand wind your watch at all. Before you put it on, give it a few gentle shakes for a about 20 seconds and then put it on. It should wind itself with the movement of your body. Thats what the rotor is for.

It could very well be the rotor isn't meshing well with the reverse wheels. Do the 2 small wheels turn when you move the rotor? Hoe does it feel when you turn the rotor? Any resistance? If you tighten the rotor screw while the gear teeth ain't meshing well you could end up destroying the reversing wheels so be carefull. Make sure the teeth mesh before you tighten the screw.

Yes, when I spin the rotor with my finger those two small gears rotate. It doesn't feel like there is any resistance but when the caseback is on and i rock the watch back and forth there is this horrible noise. it almost sounds like a scraping, although that may be too strong a word to describe it. It's similar to the noise the A7750 in my skyland rep makes, but in that watch I can feel the rotor rotating lots after one 'swing' of my hand. In the UPO it feels like it goes around by like half, and the noise is much louder. The rotor does not feel free.

not sure what the problem could be.. if the rotor spins freely with the case back off then everything should be fine. Does the rotor move with the caseback off? I did notice that you´re missing a screw in the movement holder.. (the metal part outside of the movement). Don{t use any grease on your rotor. If it´s an ETA why not get it serviced to guarantee years of good use??

The rotor spins freely when i rock the watch with the caseback off, but it does not spin a lot; at max maybe 2 rotations. It was sold to me as being a clone movement. I figured when it kicked the bucket I could just have domi replace it with a real swiss movement and maybe a gen tube and crown.

To me, it seems like there is a lack of lubrication or something in the rotor. But i'm no watchsmith.

I Forgot to mention, there is this little "anti magnetic iron" cover that goes over the movement. perhaps this is causing the problem?

As a little aside question, what is the best way to get rid of the 'rotor noise' in my A7750 breitling rep?

Edited by urbanshogun

Yes, when I spin the rotor with my finger those two small gears rotate. It doesn't feel like there is any resistance but when the caseback is on and i rock the watch back and forth there is this horrible noise. it almost sounds like a scraping, although that may be too strong a word to describe it. It's similar to the noise the A7750 in my skyland rep makes, but in that watch I can feel the rotor rotating lots after one 'swing' of my hand. In the UPO it feels like it goes around by like half, and the noise is much louder. The rotor does not feel free.

The rotor spins freely when i rock the watch with the caseback off, but it does not spin a lot; at max maybe 2 rotations. It was sold to me as being a clone movement. I figured when it kicked the bucket I could just have domi replace it with a real swiss movement and maybe a gen tube and crown.

To me, it seems like there is a lack of lubrication or something in the rotor. But i'm no watchsmith.

I Forgot to mention, there is this little "anti magnetic iron" cover that goes over the movement. perhaps this is causing the problem?

As a little aside question, what is the best way to get rid of the 'rotor noise' in my A7750 breitling rep?

Yeah.. Not sure, if you have an Asian ETA.. it's SO ridiculously close to a swiss eta that it doesn't really matter if you change it or not. The most important thing is not to replace it.. but to have it serviced.. Even if you replace it with a new movement, you should have the new movement serviced as well. The asian clones (Aka Seagull movements) are reliable movement when serviced, Do not confuse you're movement for an Asian 21j (most commonly a DG2813).. it might be worth it to have it serviced.

As far as the problem is concerned.. I might ask the dealer for some movement holder screws.. The problem could POSSIBLY be exactly what he mentioned.

If you think it's the anti-mag cover.. just take it off... it's not a necessary part of the movement anyways..

Better yet.. Email Domi or another modder and VERY VERY politely ask if they see anything immediately that catches their attention. :)

It's strange. The watch has been sitting on my desk all night and it hasn't stopped.

Maybe my brother was too hasty in saying it was broken? do these movements require time to 'break in' so to speak? he only wore it for about 4 hours, took it off and it stopped on his desk. These rotor problems only appeared when I examined the watch.

It's strange. The watch has been sitting on my desk all night and it hasn't stopped.

Maybe my brother was too hasty in saying it was broken? do these movements require time to 'break in' so to speak? he only wore it for about 4 hours, took it off and it stopped on his desk. These rotor problems only appeared when I examined the watch.

He had only worn it for 4 hours? Was he active for those 4 hours? If he just wound it and then sat around on the couch for four hours.. it doesn't surprise me. The watch has to be in constant motion in order to get a full charge. There's not a so-called break in period.

But the watch must be in motion to wind itself.. if he simply hand-wound it a few times and then sat at his computer.. very likely that the watch would stop.

With a full days wear.. you should expect to get between 20- 36 hours of power reserve.

Tell your brother to wear it actively for a day, and then get back to us. Also.. shake the watch gently before wearing it.. no need to put any more stress on the movement or stem by hand winding it. It should absolutely not be necessary with an automatic watch.

Thanks for all the help guys. I've been wearing it this afternoon after I removed the magnetic cover and tightened the rotor screw and there have been no problems.

I have ordered some Bergeon KT22 to grease the casebacks of my reps, is this same grease suitable to lube the rotor to remove the noise in this eta clone and my A7750 rep?

Thanks for all the help guys. I've been wearing it this afternoon after I removed the magnetic cover and tightened the rotor screw and there have been no problems.

I have ordered some Bergeon KT22 to grease the casebacks of my reps, is this same grease suitable to lube the rotor to remove the noise in this eta clone and my A7750 rep?

Don't lube any part of your watch. Get it serviced or don't touch it. it's not like oiling a door hinge.. to be properly lubed, it should be disassembled... Not sure how many lubricants are needed to properfly oil a watch but i think it's around 3.

If it's running fine, leave it the way it is, and get it serviced when you can.. (No shortcuts ;)

but I only want to get rid of the rotor noise. Surely this is a simple procedure?

I know mechanical watch problems will be fixed by a service, that is the nature of a service. But for me a service will involve not having my watch for a number of weeks, and I can't stand this!

Sure I might break something poking around with lube in my watch, but I also might fix it to an acceptable level(for me). If i do break something, it is just a lesson learned. Everyone must start somewhere, and if it's something I can fix for free, why the hell not? If my brake light is out, I don't take my car for a full service, I change the bulb.

but I only want to get rid of the rotor noise. Surely this is a simple procedure?

I know mechanical watch problems will be fixed by a service, that is the nature of a service. But for me a service will involve not having my watch for a number of weeks, and I can't stand this!

Sure I might break something poking around with lube in my watch, but I also might fix it to an acceptable level(for me). If i do break something, it is just a lesson learned. Everyone must start somewhere, and if it's something I can fix for free, why the hell not? If my brake light is out, I don't take my car for a full service, I change the bulb.

The problem lies in that, quite possibly, the rotor noise has nothing to do with lubrication.. if you over lube and the extra (whatever you decide to use) seeps into the movement, you could be looking at problems down the road...

If you really insist on not servicing your watch.. (which will prolong its life ANYWAY), go ahead and send a pm to Francisco or possibly The Zigmeister. Ask VERY nicely, and they might give you some insight, granted.. you've got to keep in mind, they get tons of email from members everyday askin advice for little things like this.. Some guys have used axel grease and a toothpick on some 21j movements, but i havent heard of many people daring to mess with an ETA (asian or swiss alike).. A 21j costs nothing to replace.. a 2824 will run you at least $140 new :)