When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Serviced 2846 movement issue - HELP?

Mapman57

So many will know that I have just recently reassembled my 1680 SR project with a serviced and regulated 2846 movement.

The movement is running as sweet as a top, not missing a beat but unbelievably I just hit an issue that might need the watchsmith!!! OH NO not again!

HELP - Normally at the start of a week I will manually wind / charge my eta's with approx 20 turns before wearing and charging through movement. I did this upon return of this watch last Saturday and it wound as sweet as anything i own - perfect!

I tested the power reserve over the first two days and when I tried to rewind the initial charge before wearing Monday, the crown/stem was at first blocked (would not rotate clockwise)??????? Then after a gentle wiggle / movement in and out, it wound BUT, it feels like there is a strong resistance against the motion - like a lot of connected gears/ rotors are spinning as you wind it?

I ceased to try to wind it and have subsequently worn it for 60 hours - it is running fine and has not missed a beat again - timekeeping remains spot on and it runs through the night on reserve - but it is not correct?

ANY IDEAS on this one before I take it back in to my movement watchsmith....could it be an easy self fix ;-)

SDC13995.jpg

3 possibilities - either the keyless works is malfunctioning, the auto-wind module is jammed or otherwise improperly installed onto the main-plate, or the 1st wheel/barrel is jammed. If you are comfortable uncasing the movement, try removing the auto-wind module from the main-plate & then try to manually-wind it. If it then winds, re-install the auto-wind module but be sure you are installing it correctly. There are a couple of wheels that need to mesh with their counterparts on the main-plate. If it is still jammed, then you likely have a problem with the keyless works or barrel. To check the keyless works, remove the hands/dial & inspect. To check the barrel, you will need to disassemble the movement.

If unsure or you lack the proper tools/skills, take the watch to a rep-friendly watchmaker.

Thanks Ubi - it wound fine when first assembled and cased - sweet as anything I have owned - I was so pleased.

After the power reserve ran down 36 hours later, after a timing trial, which was also spot on - I popped out the crown, tried to turn and it was completely blocked? Popped it in and then out and it would wind but with the resistance - you can feel and hear the gears spinning? Also the rotor seems louder when spinning now? Or that might be my imagination ha ha ha....

I have not dismantled the case yet. Thinking I might not touch it, if it is not an obvious issue - don't want the watchsmith to blame me for 'tinkering with my boxing gloves on'. I know nothing of movements!

@Freddy333 - thanks , I posted the above as you were posting. That confirms it for me - back to the watchsmith!

I don't mind assembling, building, case mods etc - BUT movements are not my thing! Thanks Guys. Much appreciated.

Edited by PMMUTD68

Does the rotor spin when you wind the watch? Often times, the pawl winding wheels are improperly oiled. More times than not, they are over oiled causing them to stick while manual winding. This causes them to rotate the rotor (heavier winding) rather than slip on themselves.

It does sound like there is some sort of keyless work issue though. Definitely have your watchmaker have a look at it if you can. Best if luck!!!!

Does the rotor spin when you wind the watch? Often times, the pawl winding wheels are improperly oiled. More times than not, they are over oiled causing them to stick while manual winding. This causes them to rotate the rotor (heavier winding) rather than slip on themselves.

It does sound like there is some sort of keyless work issue though. Definitely have your watchmaker have a look at it if you can. Best if luck!!!!

Yes, tried it again and it feels like the rotor is spinning when I wind the watch..............my watchsmith has said OK to post it back. :thumbdown:

Yes, tried it again and it feels like the rotor is spinning when I wind the watch..............my watchsmith has said OK to post it back. :thumbdown:

omgiv is correct. If I'm not mistaken this movement has two reversing wheels just like a 2824/36. These wheels will make you pull your hair out. They are very sensitive to oiling...the right type oil in just the right place and in just right quantity.

It's not difficult to fix but the best bet is to go back to the watchmaker again...sorry.

Most of the time when you oil the auto-wind mechanism and reassemble it the problem does not pop up immediately. It usually happen after a few days and after the watch has been off wrist and gotten cold. It won't hurt to wear it and it won't affect time-keeping...it just will not have a good reserve.