When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New Pam00232 From Davidsen

none

Hi there,

Any opinions on Davidsen's new PAM00232? Does this one have the real Swiss SL? What do you think of the strap that is supplied as well (not my main priority though)?

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showto...amp;hl=radiomir

Please let me know, because I want to get a very nice Radiomir soon... :)

By the way, the gen one can be observed here (only 1938 gen pieces will be sold):

http://www.panerai.com/s_special_editions...._categoria=5824

First of all, the screwdown crown replicas have had issues with crown stripping. When you have to manually wind a screw-down crown over and over and over again, this is inevitable. Just for this reason, I'd avoid this particular rep (and the Blackseal 183) unless you only use it intermittently or if you know it's easy to purchase extra tubes and crowns.

Secondly, it's a solid back replica. Does it matter what the movement inside looks like? I'd go for DavidSen's high quality chinese movement instead of paying an extra 80 bucks for the swiss. You can purchase an extra ETA movement for that price difference.

All I can say is that Davidsen is coming out with watches faster than I can buy them. I would jump on this one if it didn't mean sleeping in the basement the next month.

hahaha, we are going bankrupt! Anyway, are Davidsen's watches generally considered superior?

First of all, the screwdown crown replicas have had issues with crown stripping. When you have to manually wind a screw-down crown over and over and over again, this is inevitable. Just for this reason, I'd avoid this particular rep (and the Blackseal 183) unless you only use it intermittently or if you know it's easy to purchase extra tubes and crowns.

It's not that I don't believe you, but can anyone confirm this?

Secondly, it's a solid back replica. Does it matter what the movement inside looks like? I'd go for DavidSen's high quality chinese movement instead of paying an extra 80 bucks for the swiss. You can purchase an extra ETA movement for that price difference.

Wasn't the crown threading bad in the 'other' replicas? I.e that davidsens crowns hold as good quality as the rest of his stuff. Thereby not saying that this still wouldn't be an issue. Yet, extra crowns are readily available from him.

hahaha, we are going bankrupt! Anyway, are Davidsen's watches generally considered superior?

I have several and I would say in some respects they are better than the average rep (if such an entity exist), the screw down crown is a good example. I have a few of his screw down crowns. All are supiorior to the one I had on my 183. One in particular is so smooth and perfect the quality reminds me of my gen seamaster.

I think it will be an issue in any manual wind watch with a screw-down crown.

I think it all comes down to the quality. I've never heard of a screw down crown problem with a gen pam. Overall, time will tell how well Davidsen's screw down crowns hold up. Right now, I purposefully abuse mine, I never turn it counterclockwise to avoid cross threading. So far, so good. No sign of any problems.

Thanks for your comments people. However, can somebody please explain to me what the screw down problem exactly means? If this particular problem arises, is it possible to fix it myself or do I need to send it to The Zigmeister for example? Should I ask Davidsen to send me 2 more crowns?

Please explain the problem to me further, so that I can visualise it... Thanks a lot for the effort!

Thanks for your comments people. However, can somebody please explain to me what the screw down problem exactly means? If this particular problem arises, is it possible to fix it myself or do I need to send it to The Zigmeister for example? Should I ask Davidsen to send me 2 more crowns?

Please explain the problem to me further, so that I can visualise it... Thanks a lot for the effort!

Basically the screw will strip and you will not be able to screw the crown down anymore. Cheap tubes have poor quality threads and break down faster. Whether you will have to send it off for repair depends on your level of comfort doing repairs... I would assume since your asking what the problem is you would probably want to send it off.

I think that the problem with the screw-down crown is due to Pam 183s from a different factory. One that used crap metal.

Davidson's product list includes replacement crown tubes for the 183.

So, according to you, does this mean the problem will not be so severe with the new PAM00232? Some other questions left unanswered:

- Does it have the real Swiss SL?

- Are the replacement tubes from Davidsen of high quality? This would prevent any future problems!

- How close is this PAM00232 to the real deal?

Thanks!

The srew down problem only affected certain 183's and was due to poor quality machining. I have had my 183 for a year now without any problems and there are many original wartime 3646 with their original crowns that are not stripped. Obviously you need to be careful when doing up the crown as it is spring loaded so there will be lateral movement of it which means you could accidentaly cross thread it. It's not something I would be worried about.

So, according to you, does this mean the problem will not be so severe with the new PAM00232? Some other questions left unanswered:

- Are the replacement tubes from Davidsen of high quality? This would prevent any future problems!

- How close is this PAM00232 to the real deal?

Thanks!

As far as the second question goes, I've had several of these (both the crown and the tube). These are good quality and really fixes the entire problem. With Davidsen around, the stripped screw down problem is a thing of the past.

The srew down problem only affected certain 183's and was due to poor quality machining. I have had my 183 for a year now without any problems and there are many original wartime 3646 with their original crowns that are not stripped. Obviously you need to be careful when doing up the crown as it is spring loaded so there will be lateral movement of it which means you could accidentaly cross thread it. It's not something I would be worried about.

i have had never this srew down problem. of course a little bit finger-feeling is important.

rolli

Any hints on how to handle the crown to prevent any possible problems? I read the phrase "be careful" while "spring loaded", but that does not really help me out. Is there no etiquette on how to handle the mechanism? How often, when and how should I wind it?

Thanks for the answers!

Only 2 questions left:

- How close is this PAM00232 to the real deal? According to the description on the Panerai web site the dial should be brown...

1. It would seem so yes. My father has a mm20 from him, and the lume there when charged up is not even close to the 232s in his pictures. This 232 glows!

2. According to some italians I spoke with, the dial should be a bit brownish (yet not brown (actually they said marrone)). But in pictures it looks like a 177 that repaustria fixed (search). A bit greyish with wonderful texture. Yet pics don't always tell the truth. We'll see how the 232 looks in person.

Panerai are probably trying to improve the dials and cases so that there's at least some difference to their older watches (eg. look at their new cali, where the case has case engravings). Another thing that I notiecd was the hands. This is however nitpicking. The split in the hands of the gen where the lume is does not quit before the pinnion. It travells to its base if you understand what I mean. Someone mentioned that it should have the mm20 hands. That suggestion does not match the gen at all imho.

So what's my final verdict?

When my father asked me what watch I want, I told him that I want the 232 (the mm20 was a present from me). It actually looks that good. Also, there will be 700 on the streets. Depending on whether there will be more base radiomirs of that size made, more than half will probably be stored in their owners safes for the next years to come. So the chances of running into one would be small :)

Edited by pabra

Pabra, thanks for this final verdict haha, I am satisfied now! I really think this watch is awesome! I will probably buy it soon.

I also hope the quality is good enough for years of pleasure!

No problem, have answered your pm as well. If you found it helpful, you may post it here :)

No problem, have answered your pm as well. If you found it helpful, you may post it here :)

I asked pabra if the dome shaped crystal is also used in the gen. His answer is:

I believe that it should be according to this - Domed glass (Luminor 1950 47mm, Marina Militare Destro and 8 Days, Radiomir 1936 47mm). the 1936 is the 232.

This would be due to the size increase and aestethics. The cali is however the only one I have gotten good 180 degrees sidepics on. The cali crystal looks like a fiddy with the top 'extended' ... so it is not as domed as the fiddy and thus goes into another category probably.