When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is It Worth Repairing

ChasR

Or would I be better replacing.

Posted this earlier maybe in the wrong section

Dropped my Tag Carrera Calibre16 day date and the bit on the dial round the day date fell off. I looked up on the internet how to remove the "winder" and went about dismantling the watch.

Unfortunately I seem to have done something wrong when replacing the "winder" and it wouldn't stay in. watch was still functioning apart from the "winder" staying in, Tried again but then the watch stopped and the "winder" still wouldn't stay in

Is it worth repairing and any idea how much

Stay in UK if that makes a difference

Photo of Gen

post-29753-0-60531100-1297335712.jpg

Not sure what the price of the rep is, but the repairs may cost just as much as the rep or even more.

I'd buy a new rep if I was you

About $300

when you say winder, do you mean the big rotor in the back?

I think its called the crown stem

Sound like the stem won't stay in. Keyless works issue.

If it's a 7750 chrono movement, it would probably be worthwhile to have fixed.

It would appear according to the description on the attached link that I have dislocated the castle wheel

http://www.pmwf.com/Watches/WatchSchool/WS%2011%20How%20to%20remove%20and%20replace%20a%20watch%20movement/WS%2011%20How%20to%20remove%20and%20replace%20a%20movt.htm

Shame as I've only had the watch a few months

I would suggest buying a new one and then using this one to "practice" on. There's no time like the present to start learning to do basic movement repairs :D

Agree with kbh....probably a keyless works issue

Not up with all of the phrases

What do you mean by keyless works issue

Not up with all of the phrases

What do you mean by keyless works issue

The keyless works is essentially like a clutch mechanism that works with the crown stem to set the different modes on the watch. You pull out the crown to the first position, and the crown stem moves the keyless works into position to set the date. Then you pull it out one more click and the keyless works moves to allow you to set the time. When removing the crown from the movement, a lot of times, when trying to replace it, you can mis-align it and mess up the keyless works (especially on the A7750 movement which your watch has). It is quite common and it is a very finicky thing to work on.

The keyless works is essentially like a clutch mechanism that works with the crown stem to set the different modes on the watch. You pull out the crown to the first position, and the crown stem moves the keyless works into position to set the date. Then you pull it out one more click and the keyless works moves to allow you to set the time. When removing the crown from the movement, a lot of times, when trying to replace it, you can mis-align it and mess up the keyless works (especially on the A7750 movement which your watch has). It is quite common and it is a very finicky thing to work on.

Seen justasgoods post on the the Align 7750 thread will start by giving that a try, thanks for your detailed reply it's given me a bit more understanding of timepieces and of my limitations

It's called a keyless, because unlike ancient timepieces which require a separate key to wind, you can wind modern watches with a key ... hence "keyless"

They come apart very easily and probably everyone here has had a watch with a bad keyless works. It in very inexpensive to have fixed unless perhaps you have bent the parts of the keyless, and even then these are not expensive parts.

Update for what its worth

Got the stem to stay in by pressing the small button to its side. Pull out one stop I can change day and date , pull out two stops can change time. Unfortunately everything else has stopped

Best leaving it alone as I seem to be doing more damage every time I touch it :wounded1:

Contact The Zigmeister, our resident 7750 movement deity. He can service and repair your movement which will keep you happy for at least another 5 years. He has his own Forum here but can be a little elusive, as watch repair is not his main job. He is a stunning craftsman, and is worth tracking down.