When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Portuguese chrono with quartz

vantuz

Hello,

Sorry for possible stupid question, I'm new here and want to buy my first replica and need the help of someone who knows.

I like very much the 3714 model but know already that it has many problems with the movement.

However, I don't mind if it will be a quartz version despite that it's written "quartz" on the dial.

But do someone know if the quartz movement works really fine with this watch?

Is it not as dangerous as 7750?

Does the chronograph work fine with it, or should i still wait while the hands go between 10-2 to stop and reset it as on 7750?

post-33557-0-15644200-1297386750.jpg

Do you think Is it worth to try to order this? On my eye it looks good just except the small missing of the "gold" at the crown. The dealers who can offer me one like this with quartz which looks most similar to the gen are also welcome!

Thank you in advance for your help!

Edited by vantuz

• 2 weeks later...

In my opinion, there are only two options on the Portuguese Chrono. The best option is to buy one from Concepta, but those are really expensive. The other option is quartz. All others are likely too risky and a possible waste of money when the movement stops working.

The quartz versions are bullet-proof. I went with a quartz model as I am not yet ready to spend the big bucks on a Concepta.

All chrono functions work on the quartz version. Actually, quartz is by far the most reliable movement of any movement available in rep watches.

Yeah, but a quartz Portu does not exist...afaik...

Of course it does not exist, but that does not bother me. I would rather have a working, reliable Portuguese that I can wear without problems, than a more accurate 7750 broken paperweight. I never try to pass my reps off as gens anyway. Plus, .0001% of the population even know about the IWC brand, and .000000000000001% of the population knows that the Portuguese is supposed to have an automatic movement.

But, I realize many rep buyers have an aversion to quartz.

Of course it does not exist, but that does not bother me. I would rather have a working, reliable Portuguese that I can wear without problems, than a more accurate 7750 broken paperweight. I never try to pass my reps off as gens anyway. Plus, .0001% of the population even know about the IWC brand, and .000000000000001% of the population knows that the Portuguese is supposed to have an automatic movement.

But, I realize many rep buyers have an aversion to quartz.

Excuse me, and please don't misunderstand, but why then buy a rep?

There are nice brand quartz watches, and also nice cheap mechanical watches out there.

I am buying the watch for me, not for anybody else, but I would never buy a rep which screams "rep".... So why buy an IWC "quartz"?

Just my opinion...

J

These are rep watches we are talking about here boys, let's not get too carried away. The movements found in our reps are nice bang for the buck engines, but let's not get snobby or overly romantic about a movement that can be bought for $20-$120. I bought my quartz portu chrono because I like the look, and the word "quartz" on the dial does not bother me. Your mileage may vary.

It's like buying a "re-engineered" Rolls Royce and sticking a Toyota engine in it. Sure the Toyota/Lexus is reliable and 99% of people won't check under the hood. Except *this* Rolls Royce has "Toyota Engine" emblem plastered on the hood!

A quartz must never say Automatic. It is such an obvious tell. Rather say Quartz or nothing at all.

Also do not forget that IWC used to make many quartz models. When quartz originally came out they were at the forefront due to the reliability and accuracy. Only when competition from the Far East started to bite did they go back to only selling automatics.

I've had my Quartz Porto for years and it's still running strong. It looks nice, functions well and I don't have to worry about breaking or loosing it (it's my 'take on vacation' watch).

The quartz version is an inexpensive way to see if you like this watch. You may eventually decide to move up to an automatic...or even a gen.