When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Simple = Beautiful

doopey

Nice 5218-201/A! :thumbsupsmileyanim: Given that the authentic one runs over 25K, anyone who knows his Panerai would probably call me out. :)

How is the vintage lume on that watch? I wanna see if it glows much.

Can you post a picture of the case back? The authentic 201A has a unique engraving. Is this a good rep or is there a generic case back?

Edited by bkdc

These dials are not lumed at all. Nice to see that the CG lever shape has improved. I have one of these dials that I have superlumed and cut down to fit a standard rep case (Davidsens cases are different in size) for sale over in the parts section.

This is my 5218 that uses the older Davidsen sandwich type dial that has the markers filled with lume. The logo is not quite the right shape and the lettering is not quite bold enough white but crucially the 2 in 12 is the right shape and is also the regular rep case.

129511-19620.jpg

129511-19621.jpg

I think the gen 201a isn't well lumed, but DavidSen does sell a superlume sandwich version of the same dial. Superluming it would take away from the authentic look, though. Nice to know that an accurate case back is available. :)

Not quite right there. The originals were Tritium which glowed by itself but will have weakened due to their age. The caseback you see on mine is what used to come on the 005 at one time which was wrong of course. The dial in mine I have heavily modified as a sandwich dial is totally wrong as well. The 201A dials were engraved with the markers them filled with lume and a varnish applied over the whole thing. It is the reaction between the varnish and Tritum that makes the markers go dark.

Maybe my eyes are deceiving me, but when I see doopey's side profile picture and then V's post on the case - I'm not so sure that Davidsen's case is far off.

The bezel profile appears to be correct & the corners of the case appear to slope down like the gen. Am I right?

To be honest Davids cases look to be something between the luminor cases and the 201/A case closer to the logo i must say...

I bought the zero from Davidsen last month and it,s a great watch. Only the logo is wrong. the upper horizontal lines are interupted. while they should not be. Since I niticed I'm thinking of buying a replacement dial

WOW! you're right. the logo is off. Seems like that will be an easy fix for Davidsen.