When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is the rep 005 lume really as good as gen?

mjmurphy926

Zig, and I am sure he will jump in if I am talking crap, uses or matches his lume to OEM standards though he does have a stronger lume in limited quantities (he did a thread on it regarding strength duration etc) I think he calls it A++. I have it on a couple of mine..

I havent seen the 005 in my hand but going by the other new ones I would say they are comparable in initial glow and pretty good uncharged though duration isnt as good compared to my own and previous...

Having said that the gens do vary depending on model and possibly series and build run.... PAMs are not simply ratios of C1+C3 there are variations so there is no hard and fast rule to OP lume..

Thats the great thing about what Rob can do for us...not only his skill in application but how he mixes it and uses the correct colour for the model age etc.

Of all my gens the brightest was the 000, it is absolutely stunning even in the brightest of day light it lights up...

I guess there will be the usual QC variations in the rep lume as well as the actual way its suppose to look next to the gen....

I also understand that aftermarket lume comes in varying quality as with any product so again the rep lume could well be a "weaker" version or incorrectly applied for example on sausage dials application is more involved if done correctly... and when reading comments from Chris (Flav) I remember him saying how whats under the lume can effect the quality of what you see ie the base coats etc

I do note that the sandwich dials can have a slight grey to it uncharged which would give me the impression of a lesser quality...

Also, I believe sandwich dials tend to have more lume on them, making them glow brighter and longer than sausage dials.

Ny genuine 111M does not glow as bright as my 177L with a backplate lumed by vacclume.

But on the genuine sandwich-dials the lume is recessed into the backplate not ON TOP of the dial so the lume is more close to the topplate and glows more!!!

The logic is absolutely right....

But OP produce variations as I mentioned so the logic in my experience doesnt follow the rule..

Referring back to my 000, which I mentioned previously is the brightest OP lume I have had in my hand, it is brighter than the gen 111s I have had, though say my Gen 088 wasnt as bright as the 111s and they were brighter than the 005

So as with all things PAM there is no certainity and I would say that applies even with most models in the same series let alone other series...

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

The logic is absolutely right....

But OP produce variations as I mentioned so the logic in my experience doesnt follow the rule..

Referring back to my 000, which I mentioned previously is the brightest OP lume I have had in my hand, it is brighter than the gen 111s I have had, though say my Gen 088 wasnt as bright as the 111s and they were brighter than the 005

So as with all things PAM there is no certainity and I would say that applies even with most models in the same series let alone other series...

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

+1 agreed... Pete's example is between different pam models.. i have 112 K and M and the M doesn't glow as bright as the K.. i think it's a variation of batches...

Stop torturing me with 005 pictures! Mine arrived in the UK on the weekend but the forwarder is obviously too busy to even pick it up from the post office.. :cry2:

You only had to ask mate...it would of been on its way to you by now !! ;)

also depends what series, etc... older gen dials lume doesn't last as long as the newer ones... my gen 089 dial glows half what my gen 088 does... my g series 111 glows a bit more than my 089 and is a sausage dial... the biggest thing to check is longevity... my gens and good relumed dials will last all night long and into the morning... if you can still clearly read the dial in near darkness the next morning then it's on par with gen...

There is a good side by side review on the geek:

4. The lume.

The lume in daylight is a bit whiter on the REP, but ACTUALLY has a cleaner finish. The depth of the indicies is almost close, but the gen is somewhat deeper.

5. The lume in the dark.

The GEN is brighter, but REP is very very close. No big deal.

http://www.repgeek.com/showthread.php?t=130752