When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A DIY must do if you hate the way your rep sounds when you shake it.

Had the day off today and thought to myself Im going to prune my collection....32 watches... a little too many...I started off with the ones that are not my style...2 down...30 to go....On the next fase....The ones that I dont wear because they make the rinky dink rotor noise or clink when I move my wrist...7...damn 7....and it includes my holy grail DLC gear modded Daytona.....hmmm cant give that one away....

I shake all seven of them...All make that cheapo rep "somethings loose inside"....hmmmmm oh well nothing to lose...

Set them all on the desk and open up the cheapest one....(none of my watches are non-ultimate,fraken etc...)hmmm wtf seems to be making this noise, the rotors screwed on nice and tight, everything is where it belongs....wtf....Then is when the idea of maybe the rotor needs some pressure-resistance to prevent it from clinking and spinning too fast.(yes all of my watches are serviced, and the correct mobius oils were used on the rotors)...I make a circular exact cut of electrical tape matching the inside of the case back, and carefully apply it to where it would come in contact with the rotor...needs to be super thin or else it wont allow the rotor to spin at all...(took me several tries to get it the right thinness and location) popped the caseback back on nice and tight, and shook the watch to make sure something felt like it was spinning and now Im at the point where Im crossing my fingers hoping that I did everything right and the watch will still wind. I can feel the centrifugal force of the rotor when i shake it, so heres to hoping I solved a big rep watch frustration..... :Jumpy:

try at your own risk ;-)

Had the day off today and thought to myself Im going to prune my collection....32 watches... a little too many...I started off with the ones that are not my style...2 down...30 to go....

:rofl: that's exactly how I "prune" my collection. I can never make any progress.

one a more serious note, any difference in power reserve or how long it takes get to full power?

Its still ticking....:-) I'll wear it two more days and post a write up....

And my next mod is a more elegant non-eletric tape method....Maybe some sort of paint or epoxy.