When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

new breitling leather strap stinks

mad_man_may

I hope you ordered a watch and not just a strap... Cartel strap are the work of the Devil, usually the only leather in them is the reference that has been made to it on the stamping, they are cheap, nasty plastic things that smell like death...

Go OEM or try BOB/WACCEX on eBay, amongst other sellers. Gen Breitling straps can be gotten on the forums every now and then for a decent price and some makers make OEM replacement types for a lot less than the ridiculously exorbitant prices.

Funny, I was going to start a thread on this very topic!

I received two "leather" tang style straps and they stink soooo bad! I actually took the hardware off and put them outside in hopes they eventually stop stinking! I also thought of spraying them with a leather sealer like you spray on new boots to waterproof them thinking it might seal in the stench. When I opened the package with the watches and straps I ordered from China, I was punged by the smell. Thoughts of that scene in the Simpsons episode when the Chinese guy sneezes into a box being shipped to North America ran through my mind!!! Did I just get infected with SARS?!?

Funny thing is, I also ordered two deployment style straps which are great quality and don't stink at all.

I guess the cheap assed straps are a write off at this point, I will keep the buckles cause they are stamped with the Breitling logo, then replace the straps with quality BOB straps or something.

Live and learn I guess. Too bad pictures can't capture smell!

The leather straps from the twins used to be really well made and very nice. A couple steps below Gens, but not at all what you describe. Like everything else in this hobby...QC is not very high up on the priority list.

The ones we used to get a few years ago were much nicer quality.

But I do not remember ever having a funky odor?

:yuk:

Ha! I love the Simpsons reference! Like you poccoq I will use the buckle and stick it on a nice bob strap. I emailed the dealer I bought the strap from and they told me they checked their stock of these straps and yes they smell but not too bad! They're sending me another strap, just encase the smell starts to wear off the one I've already got!

• 1 month later...

Google waccex and you will find "BOB" straps. www.waccex.de

Much appreciated Loopy!

BTW- for owners of leather BOB straps - how is the quality? I'm looking to get a croc strap for my breitling but don't want it to feel/look like plastic.

Edited by teoulennon