When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Real Life With the Rolex GMT II Master Ceramic

JoeyB

I returned today from 3 weeks in Honolulu, visiting my son who attends the University of Hawaii and my annual vacation. I decided to take the GMT ceramic on this trip as it's the most durable of my GMTs and has the Glide-Loc clasp Installed for the temperature/size changes. It is waterproofed per RolexAddict's method, but I don't swim with it, my tan lines, don't you know, and it's regulated so it's a no worry  watch. I hadn't wore it in a while, so about 30 winds and it was ready to go, and was good for all 3 weeks gaining 2 seconds. 

Pretty much, no big deal. But we did have 'issues'. I set the watch to my local time, and the GMT hand to GMT/UTC time, and turn the bezel for other time zones. When home the bezel usually sits at 14 on top for Hawaiian time keeping track of my son, and no change is needed when I get there. I usually stop at LAX and grab a cigarette between flights, (yeah, I know) and turn the bezel there to LA time.   I will be 60 next month, and my old eyes really have a problem reading the GMT 4th hand. I can see the green hand in bright sunlight easily, but in shadows, dusk or night and I can't even find it. On my other two GMTs I can pick up the red hand much easier, and surprisingly to me, I can pick up the smaller arrow even easier in my 6542. And I've gotten used to wearing the 6542 and my 16710, so the ceramic feels big. I really like the ceramic insert, and the watch is great, but I had pretty much decided last week to put this watch up for sale just because I doubt I'd wear it much any longer. It's a very good one, I got it from Mary at WatchInternational, and is the latest and best she could find with the ETA2836-2 incorrect hand stack, but the 4th hand 'jumps' as the 'Quickset' hand works on my ETA 2893-2. None of my other ETA 2836-2s do that. 

But then some things happened. I had the watch on and was walking by the Rolex AD at 2301 Kalakaua Ave in Waikiki and decided to go in. The owner and his assistant were there and saw mine, and we talked. I mentioned the green hand issue, and that I liked the smaller case with the holes, and the dealer of course defended the new one. I asked if there were any changes since mine, he then asked to see mine and compared it to his from the case, He said they looked the same to him!  Well now, I think I like my watch just a bit more! He tried to talk me into a service and the usual cleaning etc., I declined and then saw a Date Just with the onyx dial very similar to the one freddy333 had posted pics of that belonged to Sammy Davis Jr. The AD is now a happy man with a sales pitch/story to sell that watch thanks to RWG!

Then something else happened. A few years ago I had gone to Cook County Traffic court with my son for his 1st ticket. I had my GMT 'Retro' from Joshua, and the guard at the metal detector told me that I could leave my Rolex on because a real Rolex passes through the detector. I told him mine was a rep,and took it off, and he showed me his, a rep too. We laughed and went on. I wrote about it on another site, and no one had ever heard about a real Rolex not being detected through the detectors, general consensus was that there was enough metal in a real one to set it off. Then I forgot all about it until last Wednesday when I ran into a guy who was wearing a Submariner. He said his goes through the TSA metal detectors without setting them off. 

So this morning at about 5:40 A.M. Los Angeles time after landing from Honolulu I went out the gate to have a cigarette and came back through the TSA inspection - with my rep GMT on my wrist. I, and my rep GMT II Master ceramic went right through the metal detector and not a sound, not a peep, no signal a tall and passed right through! OK, now I like my watch a whole bunch more! Of course, later tonight or tomorrow I will be taking the caseback off just to see what's in there...I"m sure the AD didn't mix them up, the Glide-Loc is still there...but I just gotta look again!  

But, needless to say,  I am thoroughly impressed. 

You can wear nearly any wristwatch through a metal detector if you move it slowly enough.

<---Physicist

That's right... E = N * -dB/dT :)

Electromotive force is proportional to the number of turns in a loop (N) times the time rate of change of the magnetic field strength (B). Walk through slowly (dT approaches infinity), then -dB/dT equals zero, so the Electric Field picked up by the machine is zero = no beep... Pretty basic really... If you're a nerd :)

Guest Sql_pl

Pics? It looks like all the others, except the ones that have the AR cyclops. Those look better. Mary gets her watches from the same places as the 'cartel' sellers.   

Sure but not many of these reps can get pictured in Waikiki! That's the kind of pics I was asking about, to have double eyecandy!

• 2 years later...