When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The poor man's 5th Gen PO 42mm

Pakz

So after having long hesitated between "da big UPO" and " the small 5th gen 42mm", I've decided to go "small" and get the 42mm

Then came the time of hesitating between Swiss ETA, Asian clone ETA or DG 4813... That one wasn't easy, yet based on my experience that supposed "Swiss" were rarely that, that Asian clones were not necessarily great and that I've always had good experiences with "21 jewels" movements (actually better experiences overall than with the more up scale movements), I've decided to go for the cheapest, the DG 4813 (if it craps out, I'll replace that with another of those cheap workhorses... )

Then came the colour problem. I wanted something that was a change, was different from my other watches, gens and reps. So the orange numbers on the dial were a given. The colour of the bezel was not as simple. I tend to prefer fairly classic, not to "show-off-ish" watches... yet, I though that the orange bezel was not too garish and a welcome change relative to what I have.

Last was the question of the "shoes". Well that one was fairly quickly solved... I'm a bracelet guy, mostly, and when I go straps it's either rubber or because it's a dress watch. That PO is anything but a dress watch, even if it's smallish size makes it wearable with a suit, and there's no rubber directly available for it at my usual trusted dealer, Josh.

So yeah, all that to say that I went for the 42mm 5th gen PO, orange bezel, orange dial numbers, on ss bracelet, powered by a genuinely Chinese DG 4813 (beating at a slightly too fast 28.8k), from josh.

- Overall impression is great. Watch case is very well finished and well repped, same for the dial, bezel, etc. Pearl is fairly convincing if a bit too recessed. (maybe some lacquer on top, or something, could really make it perfect... )

- The AR, albeit a bit too purple, is rather good, one of the best I've seen on a rep, and well on par with what can be found on many gens.

- The logo is correct, no happy feet, but a tad too close to the "OMEGA" name.

- The hands are a little bit dirty, nothing really bad, but on close inspection that is perceptible and doesn't really scream "gen"!.

- Crowns are a bit too tall (both the real one and the one for the He valve) as per the gen, but in the real it's nowhere as bad as it seems on some photos.

- Case back is great, with the seahorse having the same 3D/roundedness the gen has, and is, in the flesh, way better than what shows on most pics.

- Bracelet and clasp are good. OK, the first link has this "gap" problem, but unless you know what to look for, it's not a problem. Only real concern (but that may well be said as well of real Omega bracelet) is that resizing it is a real pain, even with adapted tools... The pins are sometimes so well set that the link comes apart before the pin agrees to move!!

Overall, having owned 2 gen Omegas, 1 still in my drawer, and having more than a few friends having some, this watch could pass for a gen easily if said gen is not alongside.

As for the movement, well, it sweeps smoothly (too smoothly compared to the gen which beats at 25.5k) keeps great time so far -I'm on a basis of loosing 1 second a day from when I got it, 6 days ago- even if that's not a long enough time span, etc. etc. We'll see in the future how the thing goes...

Now, pictures !

pumpkin1r.jpg

pumpkin2.jpg

pumpkin3.jpg

The traditional wrist shot:

pumpkin4.jpg

And finally the no-less traditional lume shot:

pumpkin5.jpg

OK, this one is fairly poor, even if the lume really seems quite OK on this watch. Thing is, I was lazy and didn't feel like getting the tripod out, so I had to raise the ISO and have a short exposure...

Thank you for sharing your experience Pakz.

I also want to buy this watch and I must say that I am going through the same questions as you.

especially for the movement I could not decide between the Asian clone and the DG4813.

So it is nice to read you good experience with the DG4813 it makes a very nice watch at a very attractive price.

I have read though that the DG4813 is not direct-drive thus inferring some stutter to the seconds hand, is it a problem on yours?

Anyway I think it is a great buy that is exactly the one I want to get.

Congratulation on your new watch.

Thanks, CPSNine!

I'm glad if I could help you with your decision.

As for the seconds hand, it sweeps in a fairly "continuous" fashion and does not present the type of "stop and go" behaviour that I've seen on my Myiota based Yema Sous-marine 300 (it doesn't have impact on time accuracy). I guess that's this kind of behaviour you call "seconds stutter"? If so, I really haven't seen anything of that kind.

I just shot a quick (30 seconds) video so that the curious can have a look at how the sweep is on a DG 4813 powered watch...

http://img684.imageshack.us/i/t1u.mp4

PS is there a way to incorporate a video here, directly embeded in the post? what I've tried didn't really give positive results... like:

<embed src="http://img684.imageshack.us/flvplayer.swf?f=Pt1u" width="640" height="380" allowFullScreen="true" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"/>

Edited by Pakz

Well, the other topic on the 5th gen lume got me to go for another session...

Took the time to charge it well (maybe not full but hey... enough ;) )

First, the "classic" semi-low light shot...

pumpkinlumes.jpg

Then, in full dark:

pumpkinnight.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well if/when it does (I have had "swiss" or "asian ETA" etc. movements crap on me... I'm still waiting for the first 21J to show real problems... ) you just get another DG4813 (in the $20 ballpark) in its place...

But so far, so good... the thing ticks smoothly and keeps excellent time... I'd say fairly much within COSC specs' :thumbsupsmileyanim: (But that's just pure luck, I know... )

And what with all the watches in my drawer, after those first two or three first months, it'll enter "the rotation" and won't be seeing my wrist more than one week per 2-3 months, I'd say... so no probs expected!

Edited by Pakz

I like your watch,

Thanks... me too ;)

Is it also available as black version?

Yes, black bezel and red number or black bezel and white numbers

Where did you order it?

From Josh, but certainly other trusted dealer will have them too...

Price with 21J movement?

$128 last I checked...