When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Speedmaster Pro on Custom Curved Croc

lhooq

My Speedy is my favorite watch. For most of the time I've had it, it's been on a brown Hirsch Medici, which is part of the Leonardo series of straps. What's so remarkable about Leonardos is that they're pretty much the only aftermarket curved-end straps that could pass for OEM. Better still, they fit into an Omega 18mm deployant with no modifications.

But my dream strap for the Speedy has long been an Omega honey-brown croc--curved, and made specifically for deployants. These are incredibly hard to find, and sell for just under $400. Even worse, they only fit on 16mm deployment clasps so you can add another $230 on top of. >$600 for a strap? No thanks!

So I approached donerix in December, and started talking. He finished work in February, but the mail was awful slow. Here's the finished item:

1225912756_BsAnw-X3.jpg

1225912658_gPxiR-X3.jpg

1225912608_eucuU-X3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the compliments, all!

Dave: I bought my Speedmaster second-hand a few years back, in a face-to-face deal. Its condition at the time was flawless. Not anymore!

The subdial spacing is something that no rep -save for the quartz cheapies- has ever gotten right. But in my opinion, the easier tells are flat crystals (on most Speedy reps) and flat dials (on all of them).

Thanks mate

I literally just bought myself a gen. I went for the 'reduced' version though. I like big watches so not sure how I'll see this. I love the feel of my submariner so hoping it doesn't feel much smaller than that...

Will post my own pics when it arrives, but for now this is all I have

10xbsza.jpg

I've got a gen reduced too... And yes it wears fairly similar to the sub', so it's very much OK even on a large size wrist... When I bought this watch, I deliberately went for the reduced feeling like the moonwatch was too big (and nowadays I wear regularly a fiddy or a BR02... go figure... )

Edited by Pakz

Hey Pakz

That's very handy to know. I wear Panerai and a 47mm Steinhart amongst other things so I too wear the big boys. Glad to hear that it doesn't feel too dissimilar to a Sub, that's one of my favourites.

Do you wear it on leather or steel strap?

Any wrist shots?

I bought it on leather and after 5 years, when it started to show signs of wear, I went for the bracelet...

I'll see for wristies (I don't have any yet, so I'll have to take the watch out of its box, same for the camera... no big deal but... )

OK, so I've been "fast"... Here are some picture

first, the speedmaster reduced on my wrist (7.5"-7.75")

speedynd.jpg

for comparison, my current daily beater, the 42mm PO:

pumpkin.jpg

then a couple side by side pics with the speedmaster reduced and the submariner:

side2e.jpg

sidejo.jpg

I hope that helps you with the wait ;)