When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Explorer 5500

thl

Superb build, thl! But if I could make one suggestion...

Do consider the new 5500 dial that Yuki started selling earlier this month. It's similar to the Explorer dials that Yuki carried 2 years ago i.e. much better than his more recent stock. The numerals are less puffy and are in the correct places. Also, the ROPE text is smaller and better rendered. Unfortunately, the lume is white, so you would have to relume the hands or the dial.

Everything else is perfect; a better dial would put your Explorer over the top.

Thanks all, I'm glad you like it.

Even if you are used to beefier watches, as I am, its charme and uderstatement are, IMHO, unique.

@LHOOK

You're right, dial isn't perfect; It's Yuki's, and deciding between this and the newer was hard.

But I didn't want to modify it too much, you know I'm waiting for a service one :)

Have a nice day

THL

Edited by thl

Wow! I'm inspired to do the same! So is the explorer 5500 the same make/case/dimensions/movement as the air-king then? Save for a different dial?

Oh yes, the explorer 5500 is nothing but an Air-King with specific Explorer dial.

Cheers

Don't forget the hands! Nothing says you mean business like a set of Submariner hands! :captain:

thl: I don't know if I've ever seen a 5500 Explorer service dial go on sale, but one would definitely perfect your watch.

You're right but my watchsmith said something could happen ...:whistling: