When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PRO-MODDERS OPINIONS/EXPERT ADVICE NEEDED

d-rock

The Franken BK WM9 v3 that BK just sent me is....well...AWESOME..and it's wetted my thirst for a good 16610 without dropping the dough on a gen..THANKS Bert.

So now I'm concentrating on all the upgrades "possible" to my next favorite BK Rollie...the BK NoobFactory Black Exp.II

The original owner of this Exp.II that got it straight from BK (and who's name I won't mention unless he chooses to chime in as he DOES know VERY MUCH about modding and is highly regarded here on RWG) has told me a gen dial won't fit this particular version of Noob. As have a couple of other highly regarded modders here and on other forums...as has BK himself.So it seems a gen dial won't fit and my question is...why won't it fit?? I realize the feet will need to be clipped and I'm guessing it's diameter is slightly larger than the recess in the case that holds/centers the dial. Sanding the outer diameter of the dial won't work as that will cause the minute indices to go all the way to the rehaut and even it it did fit then it would look wrong....but the version I have is the ICHS and is one of the few BK put out WITH the engraved rehaut....(which btw does look good but at the 9 position the RolexRolexRolex starts at the 44 minute indice instead of the 45...so I will want it sanded off anyway. Which brings me to my main question

Rather than attempting to size the dial, can the case be slightly machined open for a perfect fit of the gen dial. I'm wanting to go with a gen dial simply because I've already got a gen crystal, crown and (can have) gen bezel. I'm seeking some help/advice/expert opinions from the hard-core modders this Forum has.

Somewhere in there I think you actually answered you own questions. :whistling::victory:

It is my understanding, dial diameter on the "late model" BK Noob Exp M-Serial's is the issue.

As you said, if you are planning in removing the "M-Serial" rehaut engraving, you might be able to enlist the talents of a machinist.

Personally, on the "Black Dial" version that you have, I see no reason to swap the dial with gen--- unless converting to a "white". Especially given the handstack. Other than the handstack tell, swap the crown, and remove the M-engraving (if it bothers you) and call it a day. Just my .02 as the previous owner of the watch in question thrice removed. ;)

IThe dial is actually very good. But I've noticed it on many "Noob" dials and now that the v3 has arrived and I've had a chance to do the "side-by-side" it's my opinion that the minute indices are too white and pronounced...nowhere near as "mellow" looking as the minute indices on the WM9 dial. I realize I'm comparing a Sub to an Exp.II but they just seem too white and bright compared to those on the gen dials. Is it just me or is it so?? Or perhaps pbdad would have a method of "toning them down a notch" without aging them?? Also....do you happen to know if the gen crown will screw onto the existing stem and will it screw onto the existing tube?? If not, do you recall which tube is needed for the gen crown?? I believe the crown is the 6mm 24-603 Thanks, buddy. DR

Edited by d-rock

DIal diameter was the issue. Only the 2005/2006 Version of the rep had the correct case to accept the Gen Dial. Believe me, I tried them all rolleyes.gif

Agree with Ronin though - Black dial you have is is very good. Just make sure your crystal Date Mag is centered and you should have a nice rep

I wouldn't swap the rep black dial. It's excellent. Just enjoy the watch as it is. It's very good Rolex rep that never got much attention when it was still available.

That rep is/was one of the "forgotten greats" for sure.

5-1.jpg