When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tell me if this is the one....

cdaeng2

Yes, that's the latest and greatest. There is another version which is the same outside but with Asian movement for like half price though. Premium for "Swiss" isn't worth it. Gen co-axial movement is lower anyway. I don't know if Andrew carries that one but you can check around.

Edited by Hammy1

thanks for the info. I did see Andrew having asian movement for $50 less which is around $248. is this good price?

The $248 version is asian clone of swiss ETA and the DG4813 version is $128...both 28800bph, both watches are identical.

Is there any difference in accepting gen parts? I plan to build a franken with gen dial, hands, crystal, bezel (so, any problems with dial and hands?) and the whole debate asian vs ETA got me thinking - what is the point of getting ETA (looking for a long-term solution), if servicing an ETA would probably cost more than new asian (which is like 25-35USD)?

If you're going to go franken, go swiss or asian clone. Those will be compatible with the gen hands. However, if you plan on swapping in a gen movement too, or a new swiss movement, might as well get the asian dg movement.

If you're not going to bother modding the hands, go with the asian dg. It is a very reliable movement, and very cheap to source ($25) and replace (maybe $50?). A replacement asian clone is probably more like $100 for just the movement. Replacement swiss, needless to say, is much more.

Yep, size of the attachment to the movement are slightly different...

But I guess that if you want to go gen on the movement, you'll not shy at a few bucks more for a set of gen hands...

Edited by Pakz

thanks, I really am not planning on modding it. All I've done was maybe change the battery on my old G-Shocks.

So when it comes down to swapping/modding... it probably will not happen.

any noticeable difference in hands between eta/asian clone vs. asian dg?

Well, they're exactly the same except for that size difference.

the difference between the "ETA" version and the DG4813 is just in the insides of the watch. Cosmetically, no one can tell which is which... just the movement differs and both tick at 28.8 kbph.

so what would you personally recommend?

i am not planning on modding/franken the watch.

eta or dg??

Well, I went for the DG (cf here) ... and for more than just my PO.

However, there are some that will tell you that the ETA is more reliable etc. That contradicts my experience, but hey, I'm talking about a very small sample, and given the price difference, I'm inclined to believe I've been lucky (with the 21j)/unlucky (with the "clones").

One thing for sure, the DG is way cheaper and the ETA clones are possibly way easier to service/regulate/repair.