When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Heres a new one for you guys...

Dizzy

So I get this Bond sub... comes with Asian copy 2836 movement... ok fine I say...

Until I inspect the movement.... The little reversing wheels or whatever they are have the correct number of holes as per the ETA, and the big gear is brushed like the ETA. YAY i got a cheap ETA by mistake... uuhhhmmm NO.

So how to we tell the difference now? Well my movement is poorly built. The rotor is loose and the finish is rough and BRIGHT gold unlike any ETA i have ever seen. The little swing out clips that hold the dial in place are VERY tight and almost impossible to move. The winding and time setting is loose and overall cheap feeling like any other copy movement that hasn't been serviced. This is definitely NOT an ETA movement judging by the quality alone.

Now the freakin weird part is that its running at 21,600.

WTF?

Looks like a new breed of ETA copy movements... maybe they can change out parts to make them 21,600 to open up a whole new range of applications.

dizz

Welcome to the franken movement club. A while back I got an ExpII with an ETA 2836-2 that turned out to be a hodge podge of seemingly random parts. It runs at 21,600. The main plate is 2836-2 but the balance and keyless works are from an old 2836. It even has a helicoidal stem! :shock: Odd arrangement but it seems to work just fine. In fact I just gave it a service and it is running great.

Yeah mine is keeping good enough time. About +7sec/day. Not bad for a franken movement. At least its slow beat for my 6538. I guess I wont replace it unless it dies. Ive just never seen a "2836" running at 21,600.

dizz