When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Getting Ar

Faker

Guest chronomat123

I'm really wanting to do this. Sold my Bentley full size because it didn't have AR and I couldn't find anyone locally who would do it.

I'm missing it and I'm at the point now where I'm thinking of getting a Bentley GT this time and sending it to finepics so get it ARd.

Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea for RWGers in the U.S. to get together and find someone to do this?

Just a suggestion.... I'd be down for it...

I contacted a few places and we may be able to do something. There are a few issues though, I never mentioned I needed replica watches AR coated. Basically everyone would have to have their crystals removed have them sent to 1 person, and that person sends them all at once to be coated. Wow confusion, lots of glass!!!!!!!! Another issue I foresee is in the actual coating, will it look the same? is it as durable? Are there different types of coating for watches as opposed to glasses?

Guest chronomat123

Hey Faker--

Glad to hear you had good luck. I'm at University of Florida in Gainesville and no one within 100 miles wants to do it, called everyone.

I think you're right, everyone would definitely have to remove their crystals and send them in. Then it wouldn't matter that they're reps.

We should all work together and organize this-- I'm sure there are others out there who want to get their watches AR'd.

As for the actual coating, we need to source someone who can confirm that the coating will have a purplish tint (as I'm told some variants have a greenish tint). Otherwise, as long as the crystal is sapphire, I doubt there'd be an issue.

Who else is out there?

I was at my local optician-shop a few weeks ago, looking for a new pair of glasses for when I want to look intelligent.. ;)

Anyway, I had on my PAM 111h, and I could see the guy throwing glances at it while we were talking. He was wearing something gold that I couldn't make out.

He asked me if I wanted AR-coating on the glasses, and I asked him for a price. I shot in a 'Btw, would you be able to coat a watch crystal?' And pointed to my watch.. He bent down to look at it, and he promptly said 'Sure, we've done it for NN (The local watchsmith) a few times, but we have to send them to a shop.'

He could not give me a price as he thought it was decided by size of the crystal and level of coating.

They charge about $60 for the AR on glasses you buy from them.

I haven't acted on it, as I am not comfortable popping the crystal out of my watches yet. And AR is not really a big deal for me.

I also just found out Finepics is still offering the service. Has anyone had any issues sending and receiving from him in the US? I would much rather have him do it then trying to get this done myself cause you know he will do a good job. Maybe we can all send to him at once and he may be able to provide a discount.

I also just found out Finepics is still offering the service. Has anyone had any issues sending and receiving from him in the US? I would much rather have him do it then trying to get this done myself cause you know he will do a good job. Maybe we can all send to him at once and he may be able to provide a discount.

I was thinking if we remove the crystals customs shouldnt be an issue. Now is there someone with a crystal press that will be willing to remove our crystals have them sent all at once for AR then reapply them when received? I am actually thinking of buying a crystal press now!!!

Guest chronomat123

Hmmm.... this could work....

I'm gonna PM finepics and see if he could cut us a deal, see if the discount is worth it.

As for the crystal removal, any watchmaker can do it, so maybe it'd be easier for each of us to take our watches to the watchmaker and have him remove the crystals, then we all send them to one person who mails them in bulk to finepics. Another issue is we must keep each crystal labelled so that crystals don't get confused.

Arghh. But if there's a will there's a way.

I am still offering the service but cannot really cut a deal as such as I get them done at a fixed price regardless of quantity although I could work a small discount. The price I charge is £45 GBP so it might not be so great for you guys in the US and especially when you include the shipping fees back and forth (that includes shipping from my end). No problems with stuff getting here and back as there are no customs issues to worry about. If you want to go ahead with it I suggest that it's better for you to send me the crystal only or at best the case/crystal only as I'm not wanting to start taking apart a load of watches as I really don't have the time to do it.

I am interested too in getting th AR on my Bentley GT glass. Another question I have however is how is the glass removed from the GT? I have noticed that the glass rotates with the bezel so it can't be fixed to the case like on other watches. Anybody have experience with this?

I am in for a couple of sapphire crystals.

Also I bought a crystal press from the bay for pretty cheap and have pressed about 11 crystals correctly ( 100% ) but I don't want to get into the crystal pressing business either.

To remove a crystal, just press on it from the inside. Usually single thumb power is needed. Getting them back in is a little more trouble.

Look for my other post regarding the bay purchase.