When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Shaving / reshaping crown guards

catboy

I've had a search but not found what I'm looking for; hopefully someone can enlighten me!

I've seen a lot of older seadweller and submariner pictures which have quite "slim" looking crown guards, but there appears to be a lot of variation.. I wondered if anyone could do (or has done) a comparison of replica CG's vs. Gen or a guide of what areas of rep crown guards are removed for that gen look.. I understand the overall feel / aim but I'm really struggling with the detail!

Thanks in advance

B :)

Ps.. I was looking at a friends gen milsub and it's actually got slightly lop-sided CG's top vs bottom.. Were these hand shaped/finished on vintage rolex's, hence the variation watch to watch?

Keep in mind that, over time, CGs get polished (&, thus, changed in shape & reduced in size). Therefore, the way they look in any given picture is greatly dependent on how many times the watch case was polished, what it was polished with & the ability/intent on the watchmaker/owner doing the polishing. So there is really no way to provide a guide or directive on how to shape CGs. You choose your model & do your best to copy it. This is why I always tell people, who are looking to modify their rep/franken, that before you put file to metal, research the specific gen or gen models you are interested in so you know what they look like, how they operate & how they should appear in pictures. Then, once you are familiar with the real thing, you are better able to move ahead (in the right direction).