When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How waterproof is waterproof?

DONHIN

Hi Guys

I have read through a number of threads but would still like to hear some of your views on swimming in a rep Rolex.

I have just purchased a Rolex LV from Joshua (RLSS00078LV) which is stated as waterproof to 100m-would I be wise to go swimming in it???.

I would be unable to strip the watch down if water started to leak in.

Looking for sound advice.

Regards

It's either you trust him or you don't! Best bet is to take it to a watchsmith and have it pressure tested!

If it was part of his QC process, then I will take his word on it! If it floods send it back!

I have had good luck with my watches from Josh, but I open them up and grease all the o-rings before I take it to Water! His SD and DSSD after the treatment passed 10 ATM! Even his AP

ROOs (The all SS model!) passed 10ATM after treatment. I had his SAFARI dived down to 100ft. last year with no problem!

Goodluck!

I asked the same question (and I still do! :lol:) but the answer nearly always given is the sellers can advertise it but there is no quality check when leaving the factory... Maybe they put it together perfectly, maybe they forgot a seal, you just don't know.

Bottom line: get it checked!

If you had the capabilities to open the back and get it dried out, you could risk it in the pool. You don't so I wouldn't. I don't buy very many reps from dealers, it seems as though all of mine are from members. most are project watches anyway, so they end up getting modded to some degree. I really don't have any experience with Josh, but I have had a couple of bad watches from other dealers. I wouldn't put much stock in their "waterproof to 100m" I doubt that he even has a pressure tester, and if he does, it's is probably a model that will test to 3 atm, and can be brought up to around 5 atm. 3 atm = ~100ft 5 atm =~160 ft, so about half the 1/3 to 1/2 the stated depth.

Another problem with the dive to the bottom of the pool technique, if it floods you still don't have any idea as to where it's leaking. With a pressure tester, you can see from the stream of air bubbles pretty much where it's leaking. There is a really good sticky post at the top of the general discussion area about pressure testers, with some good photos of a watch being tested. I completely concur with others who posted above. Take it to a rep friendly watchmaker and have it pressure tested before you put it at risk. Also remember a fresh water flood is bad enough, but if it's just a little water, it can be opened up, dried out and then have the leak fixed (If possible). If you get a salt water flood, by the time you discover the problem, open it up and get it flushed out with fresh water and then dried out, you could have a fair amount of damage to the movement.

Replica factories have no quality control.

What matters is if the guy who put *yours* together remembers to put in the rubber seals.

Did he? I dont know. You dont know either. That's why you have it checked.

Every high quality replica diver's watch sold here by a trusted dealer should be fine .. but .. was it assembled correctly? No one can answer that for you.