When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pam250 Vs Pam196

bertieng

The 196 and 250 are my favorite Panerais, unfortunately both (actually 3) reps have problems. I posted some pix:

the Thread

If your willing to overlook the "Luminor Daylight" font being wrong, the 196 is more accurate, IMO. the new 2006 has production problems galore--the numbers are funky in several spots. Every one I've seen has a splochy 9 and an over-condensed 12 on the 6 o'clock sub. The main 12's '2' is over-extended and squatty and above baseline. The pushers look like they were shaped on a bench-grinder compared to other Pans. If you look hard at the fuzzy, sexy dealer photos you can see these problems. TACHYMETER is spelled the American way, 196 is "METRE"--niether one is wrong per se.

Another bonus with the cheaper movement, other than the price, is the bolder, more accurate date numbers. The ETA numbers suck donkey--hard to read and wrong.

The nicest "off-the-shelf" modern Panerai I have is the Tantalium.

The nicest "off-the-shelf" modern Panerai I have is the Tantalium.

I like that one apart from the weight factor. Tantalium weighs a lot more than titanium and (i think) steel, so it should be pretty heavy. It should also be a blue-grey colour ... I don't think we'll see a rep properly replicate the tantalium, unless we are lucky enough for someone to use real tantalium.

The 7753 250 not only uses the poorer case but it also uses a dial which has the original 196 sizing and spacing for the subdials. It appears to me that on the gen 250 and 251 they shrunk the subdials resulting in repositioning relative to the outer dial and numbers. Once again the newer 7750 250 version appears to have adjusted its subdials accordingly. I would be curious to know whether others agree. It is clear that the 7753 250 and 251 were made by Factory #2 which made the inferior original 7753 196's and 188's. Factory #1 which made the better cases is making the new 7750's. Check it out.

Asian 7750 with correct subdials and bezel:

130500-19405.jpg

ETA 7753:

130500-19406.jpg

Not only are the subdials incorrectly sized but the bezel sizing and profile appears to be incorrect too.

Here is the Genuine:

130500-19407.jpg

Oh, and Panerai changed up the crown guard on the new versions to contour with the case in a similar matter to the new Historics while the crown guard didn't change on the reps.

I like that one apart from the weight factor. Tantalium weighs a lot more than titanium and (i think) steel, so it should be pretty heavy. It should also be a blue-grey colour ... I don't think we'll see a rep properly replicate the tantalium, unless we are lucky enough for someone to use real tantalium.

True dat--heavy P

Gen is around $6,000. On the reps - all of the versions in the inferior case can be loaded into an old case - either an old 7750 or 7753. That version comes with an uncoated crystal so you can put on the proper AR coat rather than the light one on the new versions. You also can do the usual Palp crown and relume as well. I am planning to mount a pair of Pandas into old cases. I love those 7753 movements and the current rumor is that ETA is in the process of discontinuing the 7753 movement.

Would something like this work? I've never been inside. Cockamamy?

I think finepics looked at that as a solution for the 188 and 196, but found that it would be too thick to stick on to the datewheel. Any thinner and it doesnt print properly or cover the original numbers, I'm not sure.

I don't think tantalium is hugely expensive to explain the mark-up on the genuine either. :huh:

Tantalium is bloody HEAVY... almost 2 times the Stainles steel.

guys...could you tell me if this 196 is with old case and dial or with the new one...the pic isn't of the best quality, sorry!

New one.. is it from king?

I know it is the new one because the dial has the accurate 'tick' next to 12... This is the only improvement over the old ones.. All the other aspects went to hell :p

New one.. is it from king?

I know it is the new one because the dial has the accurate 'tick' next to 12... This is the only improvement over the old ones.. All the other aspects went to hell :p

it was from River...bought it for extreme low price...paid 190$ for this one...brand new..

it was from River...bought it for extreme low price...paid 190$ for this one...brand new..

Good price.. but definately inferior quality compared to the old one...

but on the other hand you could have bought maybe a great condition old one used for that money :)

Now I am truly confused as the gen does not have the tick mark after "12" and the old version (I have very early serial numbers of the 7753 196 and 188 and got them long before factory #2 started making them) does. It also has the elongated 6 marker (too close to the sub-dial) so I would have guessed old model. My newer Pandas do not have that tick mark at 12. :)