When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Another "where to buy" sorry!

nwaleslad

Hi guys, I'm pretty much a noob so go easy.

I've decided i'd like this watch

.omegawatches.com/gents/seamaster/planet-ocean/29015182

Now, i've done my research, and it would appear that Josh maybe the person to buy from, as he has a good reputation and has an offer on the asian 4813 here.

.1-pc8838.com/omse00258-planet-ocean-ssle-asian-4813-28800-p-9579.html

However, he doesn't seem to sell the rubber strap with orange stiching. So is there anywhere trustworthy that i can get the watch and strap together, as good a rep as Josh's. Or should i source the strap elsewhere, if so will it have a comparable orange stiching as Josh's fascia numbers??

I also maybe interested in the plain black rubber strap. I guess what i'm asking is who has the best straps?

Also, i've seen a few mention that they have to wind this movement. Is this the case with just the asian movements? If so how often? I'd prefer to buy a momentum powered movement i think, if the cost difference weren't huge... I've just started to research movements and realised just how much of a noob i sound, sorry!!

Will UK customs be a major issue?

:drinks:

Edited by nwaleslad

As to the strap, email Josh and see if he can source it. Josh is very responsive to emails and will answer you promptly.

As for the movement, all automatics need to be handwound at some point. Some have a longer power reserve than others, but at some point even a 20k rolex needs winding.

Best of luck!

+1 on e-mailing Josh. Chances are, he'll be able to take care of you.

I own a number of automatic watches and have never had one die while on my wrist. Sure, they will die if you let them sit in the watch box for three days but as long as you're active during the day, you shouldn't run into a problem taking it off at night and it dying. In fact, a lot of people on the forum will recommend never to hand wind an automatic movement watch as it strips the gears inside. The suggested method is to shake it a few times, set the time, and then go on your merry way.

Hi Guys,

Also trying to do some research on trustworthy watch sellers, and I have spent a lot of time searching these threads, finding things like "Narikaa is a good seller" or "email Josh".... unfortunately, I don't know who Narikaa or Josh or any of these other kind folk are, much less how to email them. What I'm looking for on the site is a list of reputable dealers with web address - I would think there might be a sticky somewhere with this info, but can't seem to find it.

Maybe I'm oversimplifying it...? To get good watches, do you avoid the websites altogether and communicate with individuals? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hence my confusion, i've got a gen carrera day date and never had to wind it, didn't even know i could. Cheers guys, off to email Josh.

A gen watch should have a monstrous power reserve .. 40+ hours, so you can let one sit for almost 2 days without it dying .. IF you have been an active person and wound it fully by moving around.

Replica watches use un-serviced movements which need oil or have dirt in them. This can reduce the power reserve to 18 hours! If you are an inactive person, sitting at a desk job all day, you are not winding your watch much at all .. so a replica watch on a desk worker can stop all the time.

This can be fixed with a service call from your local watch repair person, of course.