When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Chrono second hands scare the crap out of me!

Rolexman

Because they slip!

Lately I'm getting more and more 7750s on the bench with slipping second hands. Or ones that slip when I reinstall them after service. Or sometimes I completely tear the hand apart from the tube when removing it and end up finiking 30 minutes to get it back in .

Overal the most chrono second hands of our 7750 watches are poorly finished and mostly only suitable for one-time instalment only. After that the tube most likely has too much sl*ack after reinstalling which causes the hand to slip.

And then there's the problem to make the chrono second hand in place. Due to the large force it's under from the hammer it needs proper friction to stay in place. Crimping the hand is almost impossible as when you squeeze one side of the tube the other side will get larger (still too much sl*ck). Glue is even more difficult to use in securing the hand as the pivot is very hard to reach.

Therefore my hypotheses is: Installing the chrono second hand on a 7750 watch is hardest part of an entire service

Just wanted to vent <_<

• 4 weeks later...

I need to get down here more often... :whistling:

Agree! I used to hate having to do this hand, but now don't have any issue. Found out a little red Loc-Tite on the inside of the hand tube works PERFECT! Stops the hand from slipping, but because the 60 sec Chrono Wheel post is polished, it does not create a perminate bond like red Loc-Tite typically does. :drinks:

I need to get down here more often... :whistling:

Agree! I used to hate having to do this hand, but now don't have any issue. Found out a little red Loc-Tite on the inside of the hand tube works PERFECT! Stops the hand from slipping, but because the 60 sec Chrono Wheel post is polished, it does not create a perminate bond like red Loc-Tite typically does. :drinks:

I tried loc-tided (blue) but it hardens to fast and thus clogging up the the hole. Which brand Loc-tide do you use? Link or pic would be great :victory:

I know your pain! :lol:

Out of interest, if the hand is slipping, but the tube is not loose, what can cause this?

The tube is too wide. Most gen watches use tubes made from hard steel which hardly deform. The tubes on our reps use almost ´gum´ like steel. These tubes are made for one-time installment. If you never remove it there´s no problem.

Ah OK thanks for the info, so there is not an internal problem that can cause this? As I have a new set of hands ready to install, but am wary of it not solving the problem :)

Nope, no internal problem. Nothing you can do about it. It all has to do with the quality of the tube. Could very well be your new hand set is also crappy quality so make sure you get the installment right the first time.

Then I totally agree! I was working on doing a datewheel swap for one the 3717's I've had, and when removing the hands, the chrono hand dislocated from the tube. I ended up having the superglue the hand back to the tube! Lame!

:thumbdown: Yep, happened to me more than I would like.

This is why I stopped using the Presto style hand removers and switched to hand removing levers from Bergeon. They were super expensive, but I feel like I have way more control over the amount of force I use to remove the hand. Haven't broken a hand tube yet :whistling:

This is why I stopped using the Presto style hand removers and switched to hand removing levers from Bergeon. They were super expensive, but I feel like I have way more control over the amount of force I use to remove the hand. Haven't broken a hand tube yet :whistling:

+1 I did the same exact thing...

Which ones do you use? Do you have a link or part#? Is there a special technique for using these?

Thanks!

Which ones do you use? Do you have a link or part#? Is there a special technique for using these?

Thanks!

I bought the Bergeon 30018 Fine Hand Levers from Ofrei.com. You can find them on this page about 2/3rd's of the way down the page.

I can't really describe the technique, but they just feel completely natural to use. It becomes fairly obvious the first time you use them. They aren't called the "Mercedes Benz of all Hand Levers" for nothing :D

I bought the Bergeon 30018 Fine Hand Levers from Ofrei.com. You can find them on this page about 2/3rd's of the way down the page.

I can't really describe the technique, but they just feel completely natural to use. It becomes fairly obvious the first time you use them. They aren't called the "Mercedes Benz of all Hand Levers" for nothing :D

Thanks but that's some serious money bro....

In case you want to save a little $$ I bought the BERG-30019 fro ofrei. But they don't have the same bend as the pair Redwatch bought...but they worked for me...

Good tip. Will take it in consideration.