When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help! IWC Regulateur Died

redwatch

I put this in the GD section to help get a little more views in the hopes that this great community has some suggestions I can try out. My IWC Regulateur has died. It has a modified A6498 in it. When I wind it, it feels just like normal, and I can feel the tension build up resistance while winding. BUT, the main spring is not releasing tension on the movement. The balance does not spin at all. If I give it a little shake, the balance wheel turns a few times but then just stops.

Any ideas where the problem might be?

Also, how do I release the main spring tension?

Please help!!!!

S,

You are not getting power to the escapement. Needs to be put under a loop to see what is going on. Could be as simple as piece of lint or require a full service.

To release the main spring tension, hold the crown in one hand and in the other, use tweezers to release the Click. Let the crown slowly rotate between your fingers.

:drinks:

Edited by Bike Mike

S,

You are not getting power to the escapement. Needs to be put under a loop to see what is going on. Could be as simple as piece of lint or require a full service.

To release the main spring tension, hold the crown in one hand and in the other, use tweezers to release the Click. Let the crown slowly rotate between your fingers.

:drinks:

Thanks Mike! I figured it was something easy like that! I will release the tension and go from there! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

• 1 month later...

I thought these had screws for the caseback. I think one of those Pam rubber balls may do the trick. if not, i have actually used my fingers to slowly push the caseback into unlocking mode.

Sorry I couldn't help lol. But hope this gets solved soon :)

I thought these had screws for the caseback. I think one of those Pam rubber balls may do the trick. if not, i have actually used my fingers to slowly push the caseback into unlocking mode.

Sorry I couldn't help lol. But hope this gets solved soon :)

Thanks L! I have tried the sticky ball with no luck at all. This particular watch doesn't have the screws for the caseback (like the gen) so that's not an option unfortunately. Only other thought I've had is that it could be a snap on caseback, but it seems doubtful to me.

Here's a pic:

IWCRegulateur5.jpg

Where are you movement holder screws? Maybe they got loose and are jamming up the train..

PS: It's definitely a screw on case back.

Oddly enough there were never any movement holder screws. Between the case back and the movement is a plastic movement retaining ring. Perhaps there is too much tension between that and the caseback and that is preventing me from loosening it? Believe me I am giving it my all and it just won't budge. I've got the case locked in with a case holder and that is mounted in my desktop vise. Damn thing just won't budge! I'll keep on giving it a try.

As for the movement issue, I did notice a couple of times that the balance tried to move. It rocked back and forth a couple of times and when it did I noticed the escape wheel jerked a little bit and then stopped. It seems like it is jamming up somewhere. Either the pallet fork is sticking or the 2nd wheel is preventing the escape wheel from turning. I guess it could be the escape wheel itself that is sticking too.

Unfortunately, I won't really know until I get this caseback off :black_eye: