When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is Panerai now passé?

In the last 2 years or so Ive seen only 4-5 Pams in downtown Chicago where I work, and at some trendy restaurants, but I don't hang out in the"edgy" parts of Chi so maybe there are more there...however, I just re-kindled my Pam affection, I just got a Pam Daylight from Joshua and it's a very sexy watch. Don't really care if Pam is passe or not.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its the simplicity of the panerais that draws most people to the brand. With just a simple strap change or DLC coating, you can easily transform the look of the watch instantly. I have so many panerai straps that I lost count! I will need a big box just to keep all the straps together! :rolleyes:

I don't know whether it is living in a major urban area or due to summer approaching but for the last several weeks I have been seeing 6-10 PAM's a day. Starting to feel like I am wearing a Breitling or a Rolex. Not that I don't appreciate those brands as I do and happily wear them but I always felt PAM was a little different as fewer people knew what they were and folks asked about them. Now I feel like every twenty something in my town owns one. And I ain't twenty something. :whistling:

Anyone experiencing the same thing?

Yes, I've been seeing more than usual out in the wild (and I'm in a location where there's a large amount of them to begin with). Wear a Doxa for a few months until it blows over :lol:

Yes, I've been seeing more than usual out in the wild (and I'm in a location where there's a large amount of them to begin with). Wear a Doxa for a few months until it blows over :lol:

Good idea. :thumbsupsmileyanim: Don't have one of those but will go with the AP Franken and Ubi's Daytona for a week or two. seriously I still love Panerai's and will always wear them but it still kind of bothers me that it is rapidly becoming the new Breitling for twenty-something's.

Hmm

having thought about this..

Unlike Omega, Rolex and Breitling, Panerai hasn't really been out of grace since the pro's took over. An interesting issue about big watches is that only a few brands will keep doing them when the trend shifts to small. If the boss has testies, he will force through a narrowing and deepening strategy (and lose units sold) rather than follow fashion when the penduluum swings. If Panerai stick to their guns they might be rewarded for it I believe. On the other hand it's dangerous to base assumptions on yesterdays world.

In a weird way, I believe Panerai need an uphill struggle (market wanting smaller) to reveal what they do in such a situation and to prove they have bigger balls and more integrity than "the others". On the other hand I know a lot of brands who lost everything because they stuck to their guns.

What about reps? Always in fashion!

mg