When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Calibre 1 Advice

rikramer

I'm about ready to make my first rep purchase. I have a nagging feeling that this will be one of many. I'm hoping this forum can help me out as I am still a bit naive (even after reading this site for days on end).

So I really like the Tag Calibre 1. I also have been talking with Joshua and he seems like an awesome dealer to work with (has replied promptly to all my questions - seems like a real nice guy).

Josh has a few versions available and I can't distinguish them from one another apart from price:

1) There is a $178 one with an asian unitas 6491 manual handwind movement

2) $188 one with a 6498 movement

3) $198 Version 2 that was made from a genuine watch - also 6498 movement

4) $208 with a PVD coating

Questions since this is like learning a new language for me:

- Overall, what is the quality of the calibre 1 reps?

- Is there a difference between the 6491 and 6498 movements? I'm not going to be able to make any repairs so I do need a watch that's as reliable as I can get.

- Does version 2 just mean its "new and improved"? If so, does anyone have a sense for how improved the V2 is over the original for this particular watch?

- Is there a newer version of calibre 1 I should be aware of?

- I'm not a huge fan of the rubber strap. Would it be blasphemes for me to request from Josh a leather strap instead of the rubber strap? Is this a total rep faux-pa?

Thanks for the help everyone! I'm excited to get started!

1- don't buy the V1

2 - don't buy the V1

3- this is the one you want

4- Though sometimes the marketing photos of the Cal1 make it look so, it's just the lighting - there is no PVD gen

• the v2 Cal1 rep is excellent. The only thing better on the V1 is the hands

• the 6498 movement is excellent. The 6491 probably is as well

• the v1 has a too thick bezel, making it a tell from across the room

• The v2 is latest version

• the gen comes on rubber but with a leather strap in the box. As much as i'm a huge fan of josh... buy an after market strap. They're miles better than what Josh will sell you.

These two threads are worth reading if you're really into the Calibre 1: thread 1 and thread 2

Also, take heed of mastrmindalliance's opinions. He's one of the few guys here that really know this watch.

Thanks guys! I'm still waiting for the mods at RepGeek to approve my account so I can read the thread over there. The review here is great though and I think I'm likely to pull the trigger on this one.