When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

It's taken 6 years, but finally scammed by Dr Strangelove

TK471

Never thought it would happen to me, but after 6 years and dozens of transactions, I've been ripped off. Texts, emails an PMs ignored by Strangelove.

We agreed to trade, his modded Rolex LV for my modded Pam 40. He provided a bogus tracking number and won't respond.

Anybody know this guy? He's essentially stolen $600 from me.

How do you know him/her? They haven't been on the forum for very long and have zero posts. I will be happy to try and help you with this TK, but I hate to say that I think it was foolish to do such a trade with someone who has zero posts and limited time here on the forum.

Never thought it would happen to me, but after 6 years and dozens of transactions, I've been ripped off. Texts, emails an PMs ignored by Strangelove.

We agreed to trade, his modded Rolex LV for my modded Pam 40. He provided a bogus tracking number and won't respond.

Anybody know this guy? He's essentially stolen $600 from me.

This guy????

http://www.rwgforum.com/user/31624-dr-strangelove/

He's got ZERO posts!!!

:pimp:

When I checked his profile, I misread profile views for posts. Just a damn rookie mistake. Oh well, if you're going to be dumb, you better be tough.

It's happened to the best of us many, many times! Don't beat yourself up too badly over it. I'll take this to the admin team to look into. Did this come from a sales thread or anything? Why don't you PM me the details?

I have had an idea for a while - but the folks at other fora wont hear of it - I call it the trusted buyers program

any interest?

the idea is that one can only be a "trusted buyer" if someone will personally vouch for you

imagine a system where after linked-in, a seller could have a "web" of supporters all personally vouched for...

so, say a seller sells to a trusted buyer - and WORST case scenario--- he scams the buyer ( I repeat unlikely because of the system of trust, but lets play along).

say there are 100 people in the web of trust - they would all have to $2 gift paypal to the scammed seller (seller would have to be in the trusted buyer list for eligibilty into this insurance arrangement)

what do you guys think?

It didn't go to Nigeria. Went to Mexico City. A lot of people don't list their actual locations, so it didn't send up a red flag. I at least never would send something to Nigeria. So, I got that going for me.

fine, how long has it been since you shipped it ? there might still be a chance for you to intercept the package

fine, how long has it been since you shipped it ? there might still be a chance for you to intercept the package

My good tracking says my 40 has departed the states, which means it can no longer be intercepted.

I think that it's just a costly mistake. I love this forum, and really value the friendships that I've made. Real friends. I won't let this put me off. Plus, I've got a really nice BK sub-c in the way in a month or so.

Those of you that have been so great over the years, thanks. This guy won't spoil it.

As a general rule, I only buy from people who have feedback. Yes, we all had zero feedback at some point, but I feel that noobs (like me) need to purchase something before selling or trading in order to get feedback for any future transaction. There is no real mechanism for verification of one's identity (should a sale go south) if no transaction has been made prior to this. One needs to donate to the board, purchase from another member or list references of trusted members they've dealt with. When I break this rule (and sometimes I do), I know I'm taking a calculated risk and it's one I'm willing to walk away from if I get burned.

Sh*t happens. We've all been scammed before but it makes us all the wiser!

On that note, if you've had a transaction with me, please give me feedback. You know who you are! :whistling:

As a general rule, I only buy from people who have feedback. Yes, we all had zero feedback at some point, but I feel that noobs (like me) need to purchase something before selling or trading in order to get feedback for any future transaction. There is no real mechanism for verification of one's identity (should a sale go south) if no transaction has been made prior to this. One needs to donate to the board, purchase from another member or list references of trusted members they've dealt with. When I break this rule (and sometimes I do), I know I'm taking a calculated risk and it's one I'm willing to walk away from if I get burned.

Sh*t happens. We've all been scammed before but it makes us all the wiser!

On that note, if you've had a transaction with me, please give me feedback. You know who you are! :whistling:

I think all of that is great advice.

I have rule of not buying watches from people that I do not know. and I will not trade anything with anybody unless I have a dealt with the person before and feel confident that there is not doubts on that person, check his posts and how long it has been in the forum.

Trading stuff is really difficult specially if you sent something out of the country will never do that.

Trading is fine, but I suggest that you use a third party as a sort of escrow service. Each member of the trade sends it to someone they trust. When both watches arrive, then he/she ships the traded watches to each person. It's more complicated for sure, but it definitely saves people from scams like this one.