When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Selvedge jeans

Physher007

I love mine. Selvedge denim is made from the edges of the fabric that is naturally sealed off. I buy the unwashed, raw denim and wear them to death. When you first get them it's stiff and you can Presoak them in water to get some of the die out. It will shrink a bit then. I just wear them as is and let the fades make themselves.

When it's been a while of wear, you wash them and the fades become more apparent with each wash as the indigo fades.

Good quality selvedge denim will last you a lifetime.

I have a pair of ROYS that were made from Cone Denim fabric in the east coast and designed and hand put together in Oakland, CA by one man. It's a smaller scale made jean

To clarify, this is selvedge asimplefarmer mentions a couple different things that are accurate but can also be misleading. Selvedge generally means longer lasting because of that natural stitch which is stronger then a non-selvedge jean. Asimplefarmer also mentions qualities that are exclusive to Raw Denim and these are not all interchangeable. For example you can have a crappy denim that has a wash and has the selvedge stitch and you can also have raw denim (which has no wash) and not have a selvedge stitch. If your just trying out Raw Denim check out Cheap Mondays Alive and Drys they can be found for 30-60 dollars, if you have a little more of a budget check out Nudies, or Naked and Famous.

TLDR: just because its selvedge doesn't imply its raw or its of a better quality.

To clarify, this is selvedge asimplefarmer mentions a couple different things that are accurate but can also be misleading. Selvedge generally means longer lasting because of that natural stitch which is stronger then a non-selvedge jean. Asimplefarmer also mentions qualities that are exclusive to Raw Denim and these are not all interchangeable. For example you can have a crappy denim that has a wash and has the selvedge stitch and you can also have raw denim (which has no wash) and not have a selvedge stitch. If your just trying out Raw Denim check out Cheap Mondays Alive and Drys they can be found for 30-60 dollars, if you have a little more of a budget check out Nudies, or Naked and Famous.

TLDR: just because its selvedge doesn't imply its raw or its of a better quality.

exactly. Ive seen washed selvedge denim, but that takes all the fun outta the game

Mr Trooper is correct. It really has nothing to do with Raw, the wash or anything. It is the red stripe you are paying for. Think of the Selvedge as the "end of the roll" in a sense. there only two ends, and if you make a pair of jeans just using the ends, there is a lot of waste in between.

I have a selvedge pocket square in hickory stripe. Think I paid $50 for it... and all for the thin red stripe.

Well, quite the education - thanks guys. I have finally decided to retire some of my jeans so I am going to need replacements.

I am going to be moving back to NY in a week or two if anyone wants to recommend a boutique

I really like the look of the Roy's, nudies as well

Don't forget to size up, though some websites have it converted for you. For example I wear 34 in roys and his pants are about 35 W and 39 inseam. It will shrink to 34W and 36 inseam when actually washed

Well, quite the education - thanks guys. I have finally decided to retire some of my jeans so I am going to need replacements.

I am going to be moving back to NY in a week or two if anyone wants to recommend a boutique

I really like the look of the Roy's, nudies as well

NY is perfect, check out ernest sewn, uniqlo