When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Any experience with Replicator.co ?

odourboy

Hello all - a NOOB here - fist post. Just got back from a trip to China where I purchased a couple of decent replicas at a market in Shanghai. I think I may be hooked. :D I was impressed with the quality of the copies so when I got home I started searching the web for Replica forums and here I am.

Now, I wish I'd found this forum a day earlier that I did if for no other reason than the vendor reviews. I placed an order through a site called Replicator.co before doing any research. Now I'm concerned that i may have chosen a poor vendor. Any experiences with these people (good or bad)?

Thanks!

Hello all - a NOOB here - fist post. Just got back from a trip to China where I purchased a couple of decent replicas at a market in Shanghai. I think I may be hooked. :D I was impressed with the quality of the copies so when I got home I started searching the web for Replica forums and here I am.

Now, I wish I'd found this forum a day earlier that I did if for no other reason than the vendor reviews. I placed an order through a site called Replicator.co before doing any research. Now I'm concerned that i may have chosen a poor vendor. Any experiences with these people (good or bad)?

Thanks!

Unknown here. A quick look suggests that they are very expensive for what they sell.

But now that you have placed your order, let us know how you get on.

Unfortunately the bulk of dealers out there are nowhere near the standard you will get from the Trusted Dealers here, but some are. If by any chance you have uncovered one, it is worth hearing about.

Edited by mbjoer

• 1 month later...

Since I started the thread, I feel it appropriate that I let everyone know how this transaction concluded. I will remind you that this was the first rep I've ever ordered and it was before I discovered this forum. :whistling:

I ordered an inexpensive Rolex Daytona Cosmograph rep on June 7, advertised to have a 'Japan made, top quality automatic movement'. It was $139 + $12 USD for EMS shipping. The company was very slow to ship it - 10 days before it was shipped. No QC pictures were sent (or requested). It then got hung up for 3 1/2 weeks in the shipping due to the Canada Post strike/lockout. It finally arrived today.

On first glance, it looks fairly decent. The band is also quite nice and was in a very nice stitched box on a leatherette cushion. (pic attached). Upon closer inspection, there are a few disappointments though. There's either a small scratch or burr on the dial face at 6:00 o'clock. The case back says 'GLNEVA SWISS' (that is NOT a typo). The deployment buckle feels kind of cheap, although it does snap together very securely. No 'RolexRolexRolex' engraving on the rehaut.

Now here's the really messed up part: I have no idea what kind of movement this has, but it doesn't seem to be a chronograph. The large second hand sweeps all the time like a normal automatic. The 'seconds at six' seems to move when the time is adjusted and otherwise moves at a very slow rate (looks like it might do one revolution a day??). The 3 o'clock dial seems to be a date setting and the 9 o'clock dial, not sure - maybe a month setting? The upper pusher advances the 3 o'clock dial by one click and the lower pusher, the 9:00 o'clock dial. They do not appear to provide any sort of chrono control. If anyone can enlighten me on this movement, I'd appreciate it!

I had emailed the seller and specifically asked "do all the watch functions/dials work on this model?". The reply was,"Yes, all our models are fully functional". Of course, they weren't specific about exactly what functions they provide. :black_eye: Buyer beware!

Here's the pic:

post-37252-0-12264800-1310589374.jpg

Yes, you have correctly guessed the functions of the fake chrono hands. This watch is something that WatchEden (our resident low-end watch merchant) would sell for $88 ..

Phew! For a minute there, i thought i might have got ripped off! :huh:

Is there a user guide to the movement type someone could point me at?

I'm sorry but I mean to say that you did get ripped off. :animal_rooster:

Instead of a chronograph watch you received a chinese movement used in the lowest kind of chrono reps .. the day/month/24 hour timer calendar.

I think the $88 special from WatchEden is a real chrono, not Day/month/day-night indicator.

This is your watch at WatchEden, as a black dial instead of white and Tony has an automatic $20 discount policy, so it's $88

Instead of a chronograph watch you received a chinese movement used in the lowest kind of chrono reps .. the day/month/24 hour timer calendar.

I think the $88 special from WatchEden is a real chrono, not Day/month/day-night indicator.

This is your watch at WatchEden, as a black dial instead of white and Tony has an automatic $20 discount policy, so it's $88

LOL! Don't apologize - you set me straight. My own fault that I was ignorant of the various grades of movements when I pulled the trigger. None the less, I think i was kind of ripped off - it was a $199 watch 'on sale' for $139 - I expected better than an $88 dollar watch. The information provided on their site was very misleading and I received a misleading answer to a direct email question. But given the nature of the biz, it is most definitely a 'buyer beware' environment. Lesson learned (fortunately, not a too expensive one) and I won't make that mistake again. Cheers m8! :drinks:

Edited by odourboy

This one is not an automatic.

I guess the one that the OP has is a 21j version. These would all have faux chrono. You would have to pay considerably more for an automatic with a functioning chrono, and in the case of a Daytona you will have to read up carefully as the chrono movement can be problematic.

To the OP:

Thanks for the follow up on your acquisition. From what you write here, I do not think you have found a dealer who can beat the offerings from the Trusted Dealers here. You have over paid, but you could have done much worse.

In general I would recommend that you read up on the forum, stay clear of the Daytona as there are too many problematic versions out there and find something else. And for now, stick to the trusted dealers.

Edited by mbjoer