When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

$2.400.00 Rolex SSD V2

usmctowgnr

Just a little background info, I own a small deck building company. For the last 3 1/2 weeks I have been working on a rather large job and due to weather the job has taken longer than I had anticipated. That being said, I have had to cover payroll out of pocket when I was expecting to do so out of final payment on job. So I am almost finished with the project, just have about 4k worth of materials needed and about 3 days of work. Without going into savings which I do not like to do as I prefer to keep business accounts and personel accounts seperate I was about 2400 short on the 4000 in materials. I am friends with the owner of the main supplier I use and approached him with the problem. He offered to give me the materials I needed to complete the job and suggested I leave my "Rolex" with him for collateral. I think he watches to many of the Pawn Shop TV shows and kinda got a kick out of taking an item in on hold against materials. Well I agreed and took my watch up there to complete the order and so that he could put the watch in his safe. He has a few Rolexes, one of which is a 16610 Sub along with some Omegas, and Breitlings so I was a little nervous giving up my rep hoping he did not call me out, lol. Long story short, I got the materials and am completeing the job today. Hopefully I will be able to collect payment on the balance due and will be heading up to collect my "Rolex" and pay my bill. He is going on vacation next week to Hawaii and mentioned that maybe he could use my sea dweller to do some serious diving while out there, lol. I think he was kidding though. Anyways thought it was a funny story and thought I would share.

The paper that the receipt was listed on was not the place where I got my materials. The sheet is from a larger distributor of materials that many dealers get stuff from. They just hand out the scratch paper as promotional items. So Falls City Lumber is not the place where I got my stuff from.

This sort of thing makes me cringe, but in saying that, I'm not meaning it in any negative way.

I just see too much reality.

Doo doo occurs. If doo doo occured, and anything went wrong, this would be a fraud case that would be very hard to defend. Best of intentions can result in felony convictions . . . I've seen it too many times.

OTOH, since this was an option situation, where personal funds were available, the risk may have been minimal. Assuming he had the option to simply pay the money, everything might have been ok.

Great story though.

Bill

Just an update. Job is done final payment received and on the way to pay balance due and pick up the watch. Photo removed. Have a greet weekend everyone.

I hope you did't take offence. I did not mean to be rude or so. I'm a lawyer by profession, so maybe a bit over cautious.

Have a nice weekend as well, seeing as you deserve it very much with a job succesfully finished. :)

Val.

True story - funny story -- though no comparison to this situation intended other than a GREAT example of how things can go south qwik (but this mutt deserved it).

I get a call from a family in Ohio - they need an expert witness on fraud.

Billy Boy gets involved with one of these deals where they send you a bogus cashier's check and trick you into sending money back before you realize the check was bad.

Billy Boy gets clever - he takes the position that if the "victim" was stupid enough to send ten times what he was supposed to, screw him.

Billy Boy deposits the check and spends the money on all kinds of stuff for himself.

Check comes back several months later as a forgery. The money is all gone and the bank presses criminal charges.

Billy Boy tells his story but, since he cannot show that he was a victim (unlike the honest victims, he didn't send out the money, he spent it). Since he was the only one to benefit (they traced all his purchases), they indicted and arrested him.

Family wanted me to come testify as to the fraud and how this sort of thing works, but they wanted me to see Billy Boy as an innocent victim and offer them a discounted rate . . . yeah right.

I didn't go and they called later to see if I would reconsider if they could appeal (and try to make me feel bad that their precious Billy Boy is a convicted felon now) . . . tsk, tsk.

:bangin:

Bill