When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How accurate is this rep?

tmkim80

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and rep watches in general.

I was interested in getting the Omega SMP with black dial/bezel and came across this one from watcheden:

http://www.watcheden.biz/omega-seamaster-automatic-with-black-dial-and-bezel-i-17651-p-1.html

Can someone with more experience please comment on how accurate this rep is?

Also, if someone knows of a better quality model (better movement/more accurate), please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and rep watches in general.

I was interested in getting the Omega SMP with black dial/bezel and came across this one from watcheden:

http://www.watcheden.biz/omega-seamaster-automatic-with-black-dial-and-bezel-i-17651-p-1.html

Can someone with more experience please comment on how accurate this rep is?

Also, if someone knows of a better quality model (better movement/more accurate), please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

No one?

Help!Help!help! and so on.... :bangin:

Watcedens descriptions are so poor its impossible to make any proper judgement on this watch....makes it look next to trashy.....but judging from the low price indications are that it is not an excellent replica :thumbdown:

and also the description "Mineral crystal scratch durable glass" face makes me worried :black_eye:

On the good side you will not get ruined buying this :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I say go for it. $108 is an excellent price - especially given that includes free shipping.

There does not seem to be a lot of experience with watchEden around here. Someone has to start using them so we can get some feedback. If they don't come through, you have a whole forum full of help to get the problem sorted out, and your credit card company to back you up as a last resort :pardon:

None of the smps are very accurate, even worse with the black bond versions that you mention. The list of inaccuracies to gen are probably too much to mention them all but still as said above for $108 you can do worse if you just want an everyday beater, actually it's $88 with the discount on the top of the WE page ;)

With smp's the rep community has always been up in arms that the rep factories could never produce an accurate one, if they did it would sell like hot cakes! Pity.

You might be better off looking at the cheap PO's if you want a reasonably priced semi accurate rep.

Edited by cougar1

Thanks everyone for their feedback. They were really helpful, esp to a noobie like me. I guess I will opt for something else rather than the SMP then. I pmed Mary but she seems to have run out of the blue SMP 300s with the correct HE valve position. No word from WBK either. I don't mind paying a bit more for higher quality. Been considering the PO but its not my cup of tea. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good rep thats similar to the SMP?

Edited by tmkim80

I think I'm in the same boat as you, Tmkim.

I'm looking for something "sporty" - that is not a rolex clone. I liked the blue face and dial, as well as the nice metal strap on the Omega SMP's.

Wonder what else is out there? I'd prefer something right around 40mm. I do like the look of the Big Pilot, but at 47mm they are probably too big for my wrist.

I think I'm in the same boat as you, Tmkim.

I'm looking for something "sporty" - that is not a rolex clone. I liked the blue face and dial, as well as the nice metal strap on the Omega SMP's.

Wonder what else is out there? I'd prefer something right around 40mm. I do like the look of the Big Pilot, but at 47mm they are probably too big for my wrist.

Yeah I am lost as well on what to get.. What I really want is the SMP 300 with a black bezel/dial.. Don't feel comfortable settling for something just for the sake of getting a rep.. I am thinking about just waiting and hoping the factories release an ultimate version..

It's hard to know what would suit, I do believe the rep smp chrono version is a pretty decent rep at the moment (the old version was great). It's probably the best of the smp's. It is a big chunky watch but fairly accurate. I went through the same craze to find a black bond about a year and half ago, I really loved the look of the watch, ....could not find something that quite cut it so eventually went out on a limb and picked up a 2nd hand black bond gen, it's great, but even with the gen, I feel the dial is a little too glossy/shiny for a dive watch, it's a very dressy diver. Don't get me wrong, it's an amazing watch just not sure it's my thing, I had thought the dial would be a little more matte. lol we're never happy :)

In terms of watchedens I found that this 007 LE isn't bad, AR coating, better markings and no waves on this.... not accurate but a nice watch (except for the 007 second hand!):

http://www.watcheden.biz/omega-seamaster--james-bond-with-black-dial-updated-version-i-20042%7B0%7D1-p-1.html

A few other options(plus your standard one above.):

http://www.watcheden.biz/omega-seamaster-working-gmt-automatic-with-black-dial-i-17870-p-1.html

http://www.watcheden.biz/omega-seamaster--james-bond-anniversary-with-black-dial-i-10225-p-1.html

I'd say pick up one to have a look at it, either the standard one or if you could get the 007 seconds hand changed to standard on the first one above...it would be quite a nice watch. tbh if you are waiting for an ultimate from the factories, I wouldn't hold my breath, it would be lovely to see one and everything is there to do it, but the factories are happy if they still sell the current ones even when so inaccurate...and they do, so they don't bother improving it!

btw, ususally with reps the rule of thumb is the ETA or Eta clone is a better version (better case/finishing/little touches here and there etc....than the asian21j, but in terms of the classic smps that rule goes out the window I'm afraid!

Edited by cougar1

It's hard to know what would suit, I do believe the rep smp chrono version is a pretty decent rep at the moment (the old version was great). It's probably the best of the smp's. It is a big chunky watch but fairly accurate. I went through the same craze to find a black bond about a year and half ago, I really loved the look of the watch, ....could not find something that quite cut it so eventually went out on a limb and picked up a 2nd hand black bond gen, it's great, but even with the gen, I feel the dial is a little too glossy/shiny for a dive watch, it's a very dressy diver. Don't get me wrong, it's an amazing watch just not sure it's my thing, I had thought the dial would be a little more matte. lol we're never happy :)

In terms of watchedens I found that this 007 LE isn't bad, AR coating, better markings and no waves on this.... not accurate but a nice watch (except for the 007 second hand!):

http://www.watcheden.biz/omega-seamaster--james-bond-with-black-dial-updated-version-i-20042%7B0%7D1-p-1.html

A few other options(plus your standard one above.):

http://www.watcheden.biz/omega-seamaster-working-gmt-automatic-with-black-dial-i-17870-p-1.html

http://www.watcheden.biz/omega-seamaster--james-bond-anniversary-with-black-dial-i-10225-p-1.html

I'd say pick up one to have a look at it, either the standard one or if you could get the 007 seconds hand changed to standard on the first one above...it would be quite a nice watch. tbh if you are waiting for an ultimate from the factories, I wouldn't hold my breath, it would be lovely to see one and everything is there to do it, but the factories are happy if they still sell the current ones even when so inaccurate...and they do, so they don't bother improving it!

btw, ususally with reps the rule of thumb is the ETA or Eta clone is a better version (better case/finishing/little touches here and there etc....than the asian21j, but in terms of the classic smps that rule goes out the window I'm afraid!

Thanks for sharing. Its great to know there is a fellow black Bond SMP fan on this forum. Do you know how hard it is to swap out the second hand? I saw that 007 one before but the second hand made it look sort of cheesy. For the other three links below that one, does the second one seem to have slightly green markings while the first one (GMT) is more white? I think the gen. one has white markings, if I am not mistaken.

I might go with the GMT one (thought I know the gen. doesn't exist in black) or just opt for a 2nd hand genuine.. It is a shame that the factories are not making a better rep of this classic.

Swaping out second hand is a possibility, but not with a gen hand on this model, you'd have to dismantle another a21j smp and use that, whether thats worth it I don't know, might be possible to get a very cheap 2nd hand rep smp as a donor though.

I think they all have greenish markings, probably just the photo lighting on certain shots. The gen is very white markings, and blue lume.

There is a possibility of a couple of other smp options, the 2254 rep is not too bad for a black smp, also (timeshops.net, not a trusted dealer here but is on one of the other main fora) had a fantasy black bond recently, which had the old classic blue bond painted markings, but it was done on a black dial, with black bezel just like the black bond. And even though it was a fantasy model it actually looked like not too bad an attempt, the case was quite good and it had an eta 2824 in it, with correct he value and decent bracelet. Not sure if he still has them in stock but might be worth giving him a shout via email.

Also would you not consider one of the smp chrono reps...they seem to be pretty good? Also just to add, I'm surprised WBK stan can't get hold of any blue smps? Even if he doesn't have any he usually gets a supply sooner or later.