When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My 1680 build

bones

Pearl is gone, just need to get a small drill bit to extend further into the bezel, case polish is on the cards :)

It really is as basic as any vintage build can go.

1: Buy cheapo red sub from Silix

2: Soften and age case

3: Bleach insert

4: Age hands

5: Toast dial

6: re-assemble

7: Throw on old rivet bracelet in parts box.

tada :D

Took me about 3-4 hours in total and most of that was on case work.

Other than the stuff i already had in the house this cost me a grand total of $67 for the watch and whatever the rivet bracelet cost (came from another watch).

Edited by bones

No mate, just threw it straight into some Domestos thick bleach we had under the sink.

Still got a few things to do to it, but very happy with both the costs, and the results :)

Awesome, did you leave it in long? I've had mixed results with bleaching, but also once tried gentle sanding first :)

Gave it two dips of about 1 min each and rinsed off in cold water each time. I could see there was definitely some colour shifting as it started to colour the bleach a little. The my wife distracted me and I had a smoke and by the time 5 mins had passed it looked like this :)

Gave it two dips of about 1 min each and rinsed off in cold water each time. I could see there was definitely some colour shifting as it started to colour the bleach a little. The my wife distracted me and I had a smoke and by the time 5 mins had passed it looked like this :)

Thanks, I'll definitely give that method a go :) I haven't bleached an inset in a while, but a planned project will need it, and I want to get just that kind of effect :):drinks:

Hell, you can buy a vintage GMT from angus for $198 and it has a rivet on it. Anyone got any experience/feedback on those?

It's got the rivets, and it's got the springs within the links. What it doesn't have are correct dimensions i.e. the links are too fat.