When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Lume color advice needed...

TeeJay

A few recent posts have made me realize that it's time I graduated from 'short-pants' and got myself a DRSD. I don't care how plausible it might be for someone of my age and status to be wearing one, I want one, so have been doing quite a bit of research on the subject, and today, decided to start some provisional prep work with regards the lume on the dial. Before anyone says anything, yes, I know that the lume on a 40 year old watch would not be good, and the luminous paint I'm using is adequate, but certainly not super-lume in terms of luminosity and duration of glow... My pockets aren't deep, so my plan is to obtain one of the readily available 1665s from a dealer, and making a few aesthetic modifications, ie insert fading, case softening etc, but the dials available are that yellow color which isn't really what I have in mind... I want the watch to look 40 years old, but not with the harsh yellow lume which some genuine examples have shown... I might bake the dial for a few seconds, but essentially, I just want to re-lume the dial, then matte spray. With that aim in mind, I've been doing some experimentation with what I have available, and was hoping that folks might be able to give a 'yay or nay', as to if they consider the appearance/color of the lume to be in accordance with the standards of a Mark IV dial. This is a thin coat of white enamel paint, covered with a thin coating of luminous paint. As you can see, the base color is a variety of yellow tones, and personally, I think that the color has been reasonably obliterated. To my eye, I would describe the color as a very pale creamy off-white. Black was used as edging, just to show how the contrast might look on a dial :) Thanks for reading the long-winded explanation, and thanks in advance for any feedback :good::drinks:

DSCN4094.jpg

I know what you mean about the colour of those dials and also agree that they are too even and too yellow, tritec is slightly opaque and by puting a white over the top a bit of yellow shows through but with the paint you are using i dont know,

I belive that a nice ivory looks good on a watch this age

This place will give you some nice gen dials to look and and find a colour you like

I know what you mean about the colour of those dials and also agree that they are too even and too yellow, tritec is slightly opaque and by puting a white over the top a bit of yellow shows through but with the paint you are using i dont know,

I belive that a nice ivory looks good on a watch this age

This place will give you some nice gen dials to look and and find a colour you like

Thanks for the link, I've had a good look on there, as well as google images, and found some good reference for what I want to copy :) What would you say to the color in this pic? It's ivory and luminous paint, directly over a yellow background...

DSCN4096.jpg

it looks a little too white to me TJ bu that may just be the colour settings on my PC

Thanks :) There was another color available which was a few shades darker, I might pick that up another day and see what I can mix up :)

[Edit to add]

This is the closest example of the look I'm looking to achieve in terms of dial and insert colors :)

MK4.jpg

find on the web a shop who sells Lifecolor products, look for #LC33 Matt phosphor, very easy to work, apply, remove and dry in minutes. its acrylic which mixt with water, add an acrylic ivory pigment powder from an artist shop and get your vintage lume

with humbrol you could get a big mess

Edited by Rolexaddict

find on the web a shop who sells Lifecolor products, look for #LC33 Matt phosphor, very easy to work, apply, remove and dry in minutes. its acrylic which mixt with water, add an acrylic ivory pigment powder from an artist shop and get your vintage lume

with humbrol you could get a big mess

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into that product :drinks: