When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Cost of Shipping

Regulator

I'll never figure out how when I purchase something from China, I get 'free' shipping or $20 expedited. Then, when I try to ship something to China, it costs me $40.

I'm out $60 from a recent purchase/return because I was required to send it back by registered mail. Isn't EMS from China the same as USPS registered mail? They both have barely functioning tracking...

Anyhow, anyone else have similar experiences where you thought to yourself, "I should just keep the damn thing even though I'll never use it?" Now I'm praying that I get my refund if the package makes it through customs.

Labour in China is much cheaper therefore nearly all labour based operations are cheaper. I got about 2lbs in weight of electrical components sent from china last year and there were hundreds of Chinese postage stamps on the package. I worked it out to be about 90p or £0.90GBP. It would have cost me about £10GBP to send it back!

Actually the reason is that some dealers build as much of the shipping cost into the price of their goods as they can.

Nothing to do with cheap labour I'm afraid as EMS (Chinese owned courier) charges the same fee's as other internationals.

Ken